Evergreen Plants

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
8 replies 2.7K views
bruich76bruich76 Forumite
92 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I have been stocking up on the same since buying my new build house... whilst I have been deciding where to put my flower beds I have build up around 100 or so of these plants in 9 inch pots.

They were selling them at £2.00 from Morrisons. I bought the lot.

I have a load of Azelias etc just wondering if there are any others that people would recommend?

All the labels have lovely flowers etc on them and they are all marked as evergreen shrubs.

Replies

• MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bruich76 wrote: »
    I have been stocking up on the same since buying my new build house... whilst I have been deciding where to put my flower beds I have build up around 100 or so of these plants in 9 inch pots.

They were selling them at £2.00 from Morrisons. I bought the lot.

I have a load of Azelias etc just wondering if there are any others that people would recommend?

All the labels have lovely flowers etc on them and they are all marked as evergreen shrubs.

100 evergreen shrubs! How huge is your garden?
  • They are only small plants at the minute... 9 inch pots.

Obviously, they will grow but I require it to look great
  • andrewf75andrewf75 Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just realised this is the same poster with the garden plan in another thread.

The same thing applies here. You won't be able to get advice unless you say what your garden space is and what you're planning to achieve.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bruich76 wrote: »
    They are only small plants at the minute... 9 inch pots.

Obviously, they will grow but I require it to look great

Are you planning to plant them all and then selectively remove them as they grow and fill out?

Another option is to chose the shrubs you want, plant them out at the final spacing and then use annual and/or herbaceous plants to fill up the spaces for the first few years.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azaleas need acid soil. Have you checked what type of soil you have?
  • I have really akali soil... so yeah I don't think that the azealas will survive

unless I do something about it I guess

unfortunately I bought about 23 of them as well.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrison's small plants are often good value, but they don't care what soil you have, or whether the shrubs survive long term.

You can't really garden successfully against nature, unless you throw such huge resources at altering the environment that the concept of value for money is completely lost.

£50 wasted now is much better than trying to 'do something about it.'

Web sites like that of the RHS give huge lists of plants suitable for alkaline soil. There's a huge amount of good, free info out there, but you have to access it.

At present, I'm buying into something new to me and I'd guess I've spent around a couple of weeks of evenings just doing research before spending anything. Intelligent, targeted buying saves money and heartache in the long run....and it's the long term that usually counts.
    People who don't stand for something will fall for anything.
  • grow your azaleas in pots with ericaceous compost.
    perhaps visit a good local garden centre and ask for their advice rather than buying packets with pretty pictures on ;-)
    Some easy evergreen shrubs to look out for at Morrisons, but buy bigger, or your garden with be full of twiddly bits:
    Fatsia Japonica
    Photinia
    Acuba
    Mahonia
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides