IVA Completion

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could help. I made my final payment on my IVA at the end of Dec 2016 and called my IP this morning to chase up my completion certificate. They advised that they were still waiting for some of the creditors to make a claim as they had not had any response. When i questioned the fact that surly this should have been dealt with and that 8 weeks is a reasonable period of time to wait, i was told that it could take up to 6 months for my IVA to be completed.

Can anyone out there advise what is a reasonable period of time as everywhere i read they say 8 weeks is ample for completion of an IVA. I feel that my IP is now draging their heals as i really want to move on.

Thanks

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well done for making the final payment, great feeling !

Just cancel the standing order and wait for the certificate, unless you need it for work or to get a mortgage I wouldnt stress too much over it.

Mine came within 2-3 months after I made the last payment, but I didnt need to show anyone it until I went for a mortgage 8 months later.
  • Thanks for your reply. They wrote to me in Oct 2015 advising that they where chasing PPI claims and never heard anything back so hopefully this wont hold anything up.
  • adyj73
    adyj73 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Anything up to six months for completion cert seems to be the norm so just relax and wait.

Mine came within 2-3 months I think from payplan (who were totally awesome during my IVA btw)
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Congratulations! As others have said 6 months seem to be the norm for the dust to have settled.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    There are certain procedures the IP must go through at the end of your arrangement, sometimes creditors dont claim the money they are owed, and have to be chased up, any PPI issues have to be dealt with, the official bank account has to be wound up, and creditor payments made.

Its not as simple as just printing out your certificate and saying there you go !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Hi thanks for all the replies. I guess am going to have to wait! The only issue that i have is that my IP contacted me in Oct 2015 advising that they were going to investigate PPI claims on my accounts, but never advised me of any outcomes, and today i got a letter from Barclays advising me i might have PPI outstanding. Should this not have been sorted out?
  • Has anyone heard about the case of Green v Wright. Apparently when you are paying under an AVA, they take any IPP payments that are due to you. This has been taken to court as someone has argued that this is not correct and they are claiming their IPP payments back from the AVA. The case has gone to appeal and the decision is being at 2pm today.

the original decision was that the PPI compensation should go to the debtor not the IVA’s creditors;
    the IVA supervisor appealed this decision – this appeal was rejected – here is the full Green v Wright appeal judgment;
    there is a summary here: Setting a precedent for IVAs and PPI refunds – Green v Wright;
    permission has now been given for a further appeal to the High Court in London – planned for May 2016 it was delayed as there weren’t enough judges (!)

I will post the decision when it's been published.

Full case on debtcamel.co.uk.
  • Sue.1958 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard about the case of Green v Wright. Apparently when you are paying under an AVA, they take any IPP payments that are due to you. This has been taken to court as someone has argued that this is not correct and they are claiming their IPP payments back from the AVA. The case has gone to appeal and the decision is being at 2pm today.

the original decision was that the PPI compensation should go to the debtor not the IVA’s creditors;
    the IVA supervisor appealed this decision – this appeal was rejected – here is the full Green v Wright appeal judgment;
    there is a summary here: Setting a precedent for IVAs and PPI refunds – Green v Wright;
    permission has now been given for a further appeal to the High Court in London – planned for May 2016 it was delayed as there weren’t enough judges (!)

I will post the decision when it's been published.

Full case on debtcamel.co.uk.

Some IVA companies ask you to sign a document stating they can take ppi after your IVA has finished my guess is that if you dont sign it they wont finalize your IVA. An IVA is in their interest and your creditors interest not yours.
  • Hi hopefully someone can help? A large PPI claim has been awarded to me and as i am still awaiting for my completion cert. I company has send the payment to my practitioner. When this amount is added to all my payments, it means i will have paid all of my existing debit. As you can guess i am not that happy but have to deal with it. I am now interested to know how the company will deal with this as with this additional PPI award all my existing creditors will get all their money, and a bit more i guess.

My IVA practitioner just keeps pointing me to the windfall clause of my initial agreement and will not tell me if i will get any money back or if there is any interest due. When questioned about how long it will take to complete, they advise that this has now complicated the issue and may take another 6 months. Again reminding me that 66 months is standard and this issue is going to add to it.

I am totally fed up as i am not getting anywhere with them. Is there anything i can do? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure