New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Travelling alone

24 replies 6.9K views
Amy240277Amy240277 Forumite
26 posts
Fourth Anniversary
I have just split up from my husband, and we were due to go to New York in December. I've decided I want to go but by myself.

I was just wondering has anyone travelled abroad alone?

Thanks

Replies

• Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes: loads of people.

I found it very easy to meet people in New York.
  • agrinnallagrinnall PPR
    23.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Millions of people have (I'm one), and at least some of them have started previous threads about it, so a search of the board will probably find some of those threads.
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    15.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, loads. Solo travel is a lot more common than people think. I have a wife and family but I still like going on solo trips, as well as family holidays.

Been discussed here a lot, have a search and come back with any specific questions. Also worth reading the tripadvisor/lonely planet forums. Loads of solo travellers there.
  • i was in the same position a number of years ago and went ahead on my own and loved it. Since then I prefer going on holiday myself and very rarely even consider going anywhere with anyone else. I went to New York alone last year and it was a very easy place to do alone.

Go for it and don't worry you will have a blast
  • mgdavidmgdavid Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP, (Amy240277)

happy birthday for next week :j
    They do still say life begins at 40 :beer:
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • I went to Oz and New Zealand on my own and spent 3 weeks on my own in Thailand. It's great - no debating where to go, bickering over where yo eat, what to do. I love it and would do it again. You'll always bump into people to talk to along the way
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • SleazySleazy Forumite
    21.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mgdavid wrote: »
    OP, (Amy240277)

happy birthday for next week :j
    They do still say life begins at 40 :beer:

240277 could have been a phone number :D
    I'm more inclined to go with your assumption however ....

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. 

Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages.

• eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always tended to avoid traveling with other people...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Blue264Blue264 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Amy240277 wrote: »
    I have just split up from my husband, and we were due to go to New York in December. I've decided I want to go but by myself.

I was just wondering has anyone travelled abroad alone?

Thanks
    Have you ever watched 'Eat, Pray, Love'?
    There is a joy to travelling as a solo woman, unshackled from other people's needs. I would strongly recommend Barcelona and Italy, but also had a wonderful time wandering around Hong Kong Island when I was single.
    Luckily, my partner now, enjoys travel as much as I do, instead of making it sometimes tortuous as my ex did.

If you fancy travelling in a small group, check out these people... http://www.intrepidgroup.travel/
  • bugsletbugslet Forumite
    6.9K posts
    I don't mind spending time on my own abroad, but I hate eating an evening meal on my own. That's the one thing that holds me back.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support