Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Travelling alone

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
24 replies 6.9K views
Amy240277Amy240277 Forumite
26 Posts
Fourth Anniversary
I have just split up from my husband, and we were due to go to New York in December. I've decided I want to go but by myself.

I was just wondering has anyone travelled abroad alone?

Thanks

Replies

• Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes: loads of people.

I found it very easy to meet people in New York.
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Millions of people have (I'm one), and at least some of them have started previous threads about it, so a search of the board will probably find some of those threads.
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, loads. Solo travel is a lot more common than people think. I have a wife and family but I still like going on solo trips, as well as family holidays.

Been discussed here a lot, have a search and come back with any specific questions. Also worth reading the tripadvisor/lonely planet forums. Loads of solo travellers there.
  • i was in the same position a number of years ago and went ahead on my own and loved it. Since then I prefer going on holiday myself and very rarely even consider going anywhere with anyone else. I went to New York alone last year and it was a very easy place to do alone.

Go for it and don't worry you will have a blast
  • mgdavidmgdavid Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP, (Amy240277)

happy birthday for next week :j
    They do still say life begins at 40 :beer:
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • I went to Oz and New Zealand on my own and spent 3 weeks on my own in Thailand. It's great - no debating where to go, bickering over where yo eat, what to do. I love it and would do it again. You'll always bump into people to talk to along the way
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    mgdavid wrote: »
    OP, (Amy240277)

happy birthday for next week :j
    They do still say life begins at 40 :beer:

240277 could have been a phone number :D
    I'm more inclined to go with your assumption however ....
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always tended to avoid traveling with other people...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Blue264Blue264 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Amy240277 wrote: »
    I have just split up from my husband, and we were due to go to New York in December. I've decided I want to go but by myself.

I was just wondering has anyone travelled abroad alone?

Thanks
    Have you ever watched 'Eat, Pray, Love'?
    There is a joy to travelling as a solo woman, unshackled from other people's needs. I would strongly recommend Barcelona and Italy, but also had a wonderful time wandering around Hong Kong Island when I was single.
    Luckily, my partner now, enjoys travel as much as I do, instead of making it sometimes tortuous as my ex did.

If you fancy travelling in a small group, check out these people... http://www.intrepidgroup.travel/
  • bugsletbugslet Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind spending time on my own abroad, but I hate eating an evening meal on my own. That's the one thing that holds me back.
This discussion has been closed.