£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh my goodness... I'm away for a few days and come back to 41 new posts on your thread! Things do move quickly!

I'll resist the temptation to talk about everything all over again and just say: well done to your DH for the pay rise. I know it wasn't as much as hoped for, but it will still be really useful in helping you balance the books. Oh, and do buy a flask... if you'll use it, which it sounds as though you might. You may end up making your own yogurt in it, or tipping the extra hot water from the kettle in rather than wasting money by reboiling it for coffee!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 19: Day 3

Thanks for the tip on Mr A having camping gear in XSpender, am in a city with one tomorrow so will take a look.

DH's pay rise wen through too late to be included in this month's pay run, but his boss has casual mentioned (not absolutely promised) he will try to get it backdated to June. We'll see.

I need to make a packed dinner for tonight as it is The Night of Multiple Clubs, when we are all in a bit of a rush. Have done pasties for the last two weeks, might do a quiche tonight, for a change.

to do today:
    1. paint another batch of fence pickets and fence posts.
    2. tidy DCs' room.
    3. social media for work, especially smaller business.
    4. actually clear my 'small and boring jobs' list so I'm not continually carrying jobs over to the next day.
    5. bake sourdough.
    6. make flapjacks for snacks.
    7. make quiche for dinner.
    8. Make some other freezable snack.
    9. Pop to the shop for top up of tea bags and fruit.

to do this week:
    1. Make picket fence.
    2. Go through camping stuff and plan what we need for the summer's camping trips.
    3. Keep focusing on smaller business while main business is quiet.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    I'm enjoying the sunshine, but it certainly doesn't improve my efficiency levels! Much too much time sitting in the shade in the garden today enjoying the warmth.

At that very boring stage of the month where there really is nothing to report in MSE news, apart from 'still poor, still spending more than I should, but less than I was.' On the count down to payday now, and looking forward to a clean slate next month.

to do today:
    1. paint another batch of fence pickets and fence posts. done. OMG how bored are we all of seeing this on the list?
    2. tidy DCs' room. not done. Too hot.
    3. social media for work, especially smaller business. Done.
    4. actually clear my 'small and boring jobs' list so I'm not continually carrying jobs over to the next day. Not all done, but made some progress, and going to continue ploughing away at it after I've finished up here.
    5. bake sourdough. The second loaf is in the oven as I type.
    6. make flapjacks for snacks. Not done, but might make some in a minute while the oven is hot.
    7. make quiche for dinner. done.
    8. Make some other freezable snack. Not done. Lacking inspiration.
    9. Pop to the shop for top up of tea bags and fruit. Done, £8.

to do this week:
    1. Make picket fence.
    2. Go through camping stuff and plan what we need for the summer's camping trips.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • emmie26
    emmie26 Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's cooled down a bit here tonight and I've managed to get a bit of gardening done, I love the heat but it's actually much better to work in when it's a bit cooler :)

Total Debt: [STRIKE]£24,359.79[/STRIKE] £16,452
    debt reduced by 32%
    Debt free date: May 2019
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 19: Day 3

The last forecast day of truly scorching weather for us today, I think we'll all miss it a bit when it's gone, despite the endless sun cream applications.

Have to take DS1 to nearby city today for a school activity, so have six hours to kill while he is there (not worth driving home and back again). If I manage it without spending more than just parking money, it will be a miracle. Well, I know I won't, as I can't live that long without tea. :D

to do today:
    1. paint another batch of fence pickets and fence posts.
    2. Make tortilla wraps for packed lunches
    3. Make packed lunches for DC1, DC3 and me.
    4. social media for work, especially smaller business.
    5. minimal spends today. Remember to buy appropriately sized screws to finish the fence.
    6. Get leftover soup out to defrost for dinner.

to do this week:
    1. Make picket fence.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    I am reminded that I need to plan days like today (6hrs of hanging around with DC3 waiting for DC1). Only 11:30 and we have already spent £7 in a cafe (and parking will be £6 or so). Just bringing a packed lunch is not enough! Have no idea how we are going to fill the remaining four hours, but suspect it may involve spending a bit more money.
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    Here's some ideas to try to avoid spending. Use Google to:
    - find a local park
    - find a local free museum
    - go exploring with your youngest with a plan in mind (finding sticks, strange shaped stones etc)
    - Is there another town within a short drive from you that might have things to do?
    - Go to a charity shop and spend a small amount on a game that you can take to a grassy area and play with your youngest to pass the time
    - Do you have a ball in the car? I keep one in the boot for unexpected passing of time with two boys

Without knowing where you are these are a bit vague, but might spark inspiration to avoid spending!

Good luck!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bearing in mind you brought backed lunches from home, how did you end up with £7 spent in the cafe? Remember if you're out like that and just in need of a cuppa the Wetherspoon pub chain do decently priced hot drinks far cheaper than your average cafe prices, and they all have a aet area in which you can take children during the day too I believe. Using somewhere like that potentially avoids appeals for extras like the nice foody bits that cafes temptingly put on display too! ;)

JoJoC makes some great suggestions below there - things like games of Pooh Sticks if you're anywhere with a park with a stream are free and fun, you could make up a "scavenger hunt" for the little ones where they have to find an item for each letter of the alphabet (note I said "find" rather than "collect"!) making daisy chains...

Here's a challenge for you on item 2 of your weekly list by the way - how about altering it to read "Go through camping stuff to work out how we can get away without buying anything more for the planned trips"? :D Poundland is always worth a look for odds and ends for camping stuff though - all our plasticware is from there- bought when we first started camping again which I think was nearly 10 years ago and still going strong. Similarly their pots and pans are plenty good enough for getting bashed around for camping, and their little battery lanterns are BRILLIANT - so much better than our big expensive one!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Well it was sort of successful, sort of not. Mostly not. We went and stocked up on sun cream, which we urgently needed, and will see us through the summer, but that was £35 for various kids 8hr and sports ones (for surfing etc, we all get stingy eyes in the sea from normal sun cream, little precious flowers that we are). Then spent £8 on fruit and bits for a little midsummer celebration tonight. BUT I didn't spend on any entertainment/tea etc, we played in the park for a couple of hours, went to the museum then did some window shopping.

EH we definitely need to buy some camping stuff - with the amount we're going this summer I can't face another year of taking stuff from the kitchen, putting it back, taking it again, putting it back again etc etc. Also DH and I have no bed, and DC3 needs one (she was in a travel cot last year, now sold).

Went to Wilko today and they had NO WASHING UP BOWLS. This is getting a little silly now.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 19: Day 5

Well, the 'end' of the heatwave still seems to mean 17 degrees at 4.30am, and apparently up to 20 here later. Enjoying the ability get laundry done so easily - my washing basket has never been so consistently empty!

DH got paid this morning, and I have already assigned all of his salary away. No pay rise yet, as expected. Fingers crossed for next month. I have managed to give us both £20 spending money for the first time in a while, which is nice.

DC3 has three hours at preschool today, so this is my day for rushing round like a mad thing trying to get everything done.

to do today:
    1. Clear ironing while it is still a basket full, rather than a mountain.
    2. Phone national trust - no new cards have arrived, despite DD coming out a few weeks ago.
    3. Mend MORE school trousers - I refuse to buy more before the end of term!
    4. social media for work, especially smaller business.
    5. Change and launder ours and ds1's bed sheets.
    6. Pay for DC3 school trip
    7. Bake sourdough
    8. Prep ingredients for DH to batch cook chilli tonight.
    9. Batch cook dal
    10. Make naan breads
    11. Work on smaller business for an hour or two - another couple of little sales in yesterday shows it's paying off.

to do this week:
    1. Make picket fence. Finally finished painting, hurrah!
    3. Keep focusing on smaller business while main business is quiet. Going well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback