£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Good news on your financial win. Had to laugh at your 10 pots to divvy up extra income to and wonder how long it will take for you to get new pillows. Saves the indecision though I guess.
    As long as it's less than nine years... :rotfl:
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Know you are time poor but also wanted to "second" someone else's comment about getting the 11+ revision books and working though then with dc1. Perhaps there would be less need for tutor time?

I am a tutor and I know it's expensive. maybe some prep work before sept might save a bit of cash?
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am more positive than you know ToPM ;)

I so want you to win at this ( and prove me miserably wrong)

I have annoyingly had to replace a dustpan & brush, the previous one having disappeared with the tradesmen who were here last. I had a rather long ToPM moment ( I actually called it that in my head) this morning browsing for a 'stylish' set that 'goes with the kitchen' and then realized what I was doing and slapped the £3 one on my Tesco order :D. Its perfectly fine and matches the kitchen anyway. Unfortunately, said tradesmen also appear to have had the stiff garage brush, a step ladder and the hosepipe :(
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask for the stuff back!!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Teaspoons and lakes are fine. You've already said that you value your time making a lovely house for the kids, and yours are still very young. You've turned things around enormously, and now that you're facing in the right direction, you'll be able to accelerate straight into the next turn.

I think a lot of people would have been tempted to say, well, I'll get on top of the debt when the last child starts school, or that promotion comes in, or something similar. But as we've both found out, it takes a good 12 months to learn to budget properly and understand what our true expenses really are: better to have had that learning period now, and then once the gains do start coming, we'll be able to apply them to the right thing, right away.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 60: Day 5

Woke up to find the Barclaycard statement had come in this morning so paid that plus the extra I budget for it (I think the min payment is £260ish now, I pay £285). Have updated my signature as the debt is down to £34,168.99. Looking forward to being in the 33s! Have now paid £38% of my £5,000 2018 payment goal and we're not yet a third of the way through the year, so I'm slightly ahead of the game. Fingers crossed it continues.

Warby that's awful! Can you ask for it back on the basis only he could have taken it, or will he just deny all knowledge? Maybe an innocent mistake? <clutches straws>

armchairexpert I have so many days when I think 'I should just abandon this till the DC are older', or 'I can't even attempt this until I am earning more' or whatever the latest excuse in my head is, but the fact is it needs to go, so even if progress is slow, it's got to be in the right direction.

Heading off to see Dippy the dinosaur in Dorchester today. It's a fair bit of a drive and we'll probably look at the skeleton for about three minutes before leaving again, but the older two DC have been desperate to do it for a while, and I have been repeatedly promising, so today is the day. We'll take a picnic, maybe stop at a beach on the way home if there's nothing we fancy doing in Dorchester. We have leftover pasta and sauce, but no thermos food flask big enough for all of us. I'm contemplating whether I can heat it right before we go and pop it in a tupperware wrapped in acres of towels and things to keep warm. Do we think it would still be warm in 2-3 hours? Or maybe pasta for dinner and something from the freezer for lunch - we have quiche and savoury muffins in there I think. On reflection maybe that's more sensible to avoid major pasta spillage...

To do today
    1. Pack picnic for day out.
    2. Find something else to do near the museum in case we get bored with Dippy in four seconds flat.
    3. Help DC1 make a start on his holiday homework.

Debt repayment:
    - £16.65/30 April rounding down pot.
    - £1,910.11/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 60: Day 5

Woke up to find the Barclaycard statement had come in this morning so paid that plus the extra I budget for it (I think the min payment is £260ish now, I pay £285). Have updated my signature as the debt is down to £34,168.99. Looking forward to being in the 33s! Have now paid £38% of my £5,000 2018 payment goal and we're not yet a third of the way through the year, so I'm slightly ahead of the game. Fingers crossed it continues.

Warby that's awful! Can you ask for it back on the basis only he could have taken it, or will he just deny all knowledge? Maybe an innocent mistake? <clutches straws>. I do rather love the idea of having 'A TOPM moment'.

I am in the midst of a TOPM moment myself as we want a new kitchen clock (previous cheap and somewhat ugly one has finally died after 15 years of use and even being repaired with a new movement at one stage). I am hoping that I miraculously save sufficient with my 10% towards house stuff that I can afford the pricey clock I want. We can survive without one easily enough for a couple of months while I realise that I can't save enough though - we all own watches!

armchairexpert I have so many days when I think 'I should just abandon this till the DC are older', or 'I can't even attempt this until I am earning more' or whatever the latest excuse in my head is, but the fact is it needs to go, so even if progress is slow, it's got to be in the right direction.

Heading off to see Dippy the dinosaur in Dorchester today. It's a fair bit of a drive and we'll probably look at the skeleton for about three minutes before leaving again, but the older two DC have been desperate to do it for a while, and I have been repeatedly promising, so today is the day. We'll take a picnic, maybe stop at a beach on the way home if there's nothing we fancy doing in Dorchester. We have leftover pasta and sauce, but no thermos food flask big enough for all of us. I'm contemplating whether I can heat it right before we go and pop it in a tupperware wrapped in acres of towels and things to keep warm. Do we think it would still be warm in 2-3 hours? Or maybe pasta for dinner and something from the freezer for lunch - we have quiche and savoury muffins in there I think. On reflection maybe that's more sensible, to avoid major pasta spillage...

To do today
    1. Pack picnic for day out.
    2. Find something else to do near the museum in case we get bored with Dippy in four seconds flat.
    3. Help DC1 make a start on his holiday homework.

Debt repayment:
    - £16.65/30 April rounding down pot.
    - £1,910.11/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning

I much prefer your day ToPM, I have work and if home in time, I have promised to take an 18y old who passed his test last week on the motorway :eek:

I did ask - met with straight denial and no proof and we only noticed the hosepipe at the time. There were at least 7 people here during the project as well.

Anyway it was more my process of replacement that I was pointing out :rotfl:
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds a fun day out...hope you have a great time. Are you a N T member? Hardy's Cottage is close to Dorchester, although at the moment, there are Easter egg hunts which do cost extra.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • MatyMoo
    MatyMoo Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Portland Bill and Chessil Beach aren't too far away from Dorchester
    :j Proud Member of Mike's Mob :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories