We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Energy Hike/Cheap Energy Club Scaremongering
Comments
-
The OP is correct that price comparison sites are a little confusing, so as a rule of thumb its best to do your own slide rule calculations based on prices from each company and the different standing charges they apply, and these differ with each company according to what plan you are looking at. When I switched the folks over in early January Avro Energy were the cheapest for 12 months compared to all other suppliers, since then new kids on the block have shown up and 'fixed offers' decreased in price further, to the extent that the First-Utility April 2018 V7 fix I'm on is approx. £160 more expensive that the cheapest option. However, we have a £100 cash back, which means presently we can save maybe £60 per year by changing, this saving is cancelled due to cancellations fees. My folks are paying £90 a month for duel tariff with FU, OVO Energy wanted £102 per month for same package based on actual usage over 12 months - the old man has been heavy on the electric heater due to blood circulation issues.
At the end of the day, had i left our switch until the Ovo Fix had expired in early February we'd have been perhaps £5 per month better off, not withstanding the fact we miss out on any price hikes coming in October 2017 and March 2018, so may break even in reality.
Moral of the tale, it pays to do your own calculations to find actual cost savings and some of the new energy suppliers are competitive, if unknown entities. Just a big shame that Ovo Energy is now uncompetitive given we had good service with them over more than four years, but cannot ignore savings of more than £10 per month, not if pensioners.0 -
I beg to differ I'm afraid. Every time I have put my details in and checked out what has come up from the energy club based on my useage in kWh over the year, monthly payments, and also allowing for being well in credit; the charges have been very high. I.e.: paying £35 a month agsinst a quote of anything up to £70 a month. It just can't be right. Even if I asked for my credit back in a cheque it wouldn't go up to that much.
This is what you said. I pointed out that allowing for credit was not something that mattered in terms of the information that a PCW provides. What it suggests is that the projected figures you have used to carry out the calculation are flawed. Hence my assertion that you were stating that the PCW was giving you false information? In truth, it is giving nothing more than 365 days times the standing charge plus kWhs times unit price plus 5%. You were suggesting that the PCW calculation was out by 100%.
Rather than keep going around in circles, it might be helpful if you provided an example of two PCWs that show the cheapest tariff for you that are £35 per month different in cost.This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com0 -
This is what you said. I pointed out that allowing for credit was not something that mattered in terms of the information that a PCW provides. What it suggests is that the projected figures you have used to carry out the calculation are flawed. Hence my assertion that you were stating that the PCW was giving you false information? In truth, it is giving nothing more than 365 days times the standing charge plus kWhs times unit price plus 5%. You were suggesting that the PCW calculation was out by 100%.
Rather than keep going around in circles, it might be helpful if you provided an example of two PCWs that show the cheapest tariff for you that are £35 per month different in cost.
That would mean having to re-do calculations, go on comparison websites etc. Not only do I have various health conditions which afffect my daily life, but we are having a 3 day break from tomorrow. If you are willing to wait a week or so, I will do my best to give you what you require. The instances I have quoted have obviously been in the past before my fixed term was about to end; or we get an 'offer we can't refuse'. Once example of the latter was on the doorstep from NPower I think it was. The usual trying to get you to sign up after they have put their calulations in their computer. He reckoned he could save us money along with our monthly premiums dropping. I said if he left his literature with me and came back on another day I would consider them. He said the best he could do would be the next day, which I agree to. After inputting all my figures and finding out that he had conveniently misled me by NOT telling me there was a 2-tier price tariff; his quotes were way out. When he came back I told him he had lied by only giving me the lower tariff. I told him that in the small print it showed the much higher tariff before however many units were used. He ended up skulking down the road with his head down.
I think the topic has run it's course really, as the only point I was making was the emails for the Enegy Club were on the 'heavy' side to switch. Someone skimming over quickly would miss the reference to the standard tarif and may come out of their current deal after a quote; not realising there would probably be an early termination fee to pay.
However, I will honour what I say Hengus if you can wait around a week or so, and I will hope to give you an example.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

