Scottish Power to hike dual fuel bills by 7.8% - but British Gas freezes prices until

Options
Scottish Power has become the latest Big Six energy firm to hike prices...
Read the full story:
'Scottish Power to hike dual fuel bills by 7.8% - but British Gas freezes prices until August'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
Get Martin's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fixed till June 2017.

I'm not worried. Donald Trump is trashing the American environment to allow more fracking, producing more energy, which will depress the oil price, which will lead to cheaper domestic energy bills.
  • Scotlands_Lite
    Options
    I know many here are fully aware of the lie that is the 'free' smart meter rollout, so I wonder if Smart Energy GB will now update their website to put an end to it finally on the back of the SP media release justifying the rise.

To quote Smart Energy GB...

"Who can get a smart meter?

Every household in Britain can get a smart meter as part of the national rollout. Your energy supplier will install them in your home at no extra cost..."
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know many here are fully aware of the lie that is the 'free' smart meter rollout, so I wonder if Smart Energy GB will now update their website to put an end to it finally on the back of the SP media release justifying the rise.

To quote Smart Energy GB...

"Who can get a smart meter?

Every household in Britain can get a smart meter as part of the national rollout. Your energy supplier will install them in your home at no extra cost..."

Suppliers are right to point out the increase in costs which sit out with their control. As you can see from this link, the wholesale cost of gas and electricity only accounts for a small proportion of every bill.

http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/customers/about-your-energy-bill/the-breakdown-of-an-energy-bill.html

Look at the difference in the breakdown in costs from 2010 until now.
  • Scotlands_Lite
    Options
    Fully understand the position suppliers currently find themselves in re. overall costs and from my perspective the increase is neither unexpected nor particularly troublesome (I realise that'll not be the case for everyone), but my original point was simply an aside directed at the continued dishonesty of the smart meter rollout program (given the content of the SP media release) rather than at SP themselves.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 February 2017 at 5:39PM
    Options
    Fully understand the position suppliers currently find themselves in re. overall costs and from my perspective the increase is neither unexpected nor particularly troublesome (I realise that'll not be the case for everyone), but my original point was simply an aside directed at the continued dishonesty of the smart meter rollout program (given the content of the SP media release) rather than at SP themselves.
    On tv programmes, it was like getting blood from a stone to get the reps interviewed to admit that the meters are far from free; in fact putting out of pocket anyone who wouldn't benefit.

The publicity film showed a woman, with large family, claiming that having the hand held helped her save hundreds, but those helped are in the minority who really waste power or are too stupid to move from the standard tariff.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Got this in an e-mail today

You might have heard that some of our energy prices† are going up on 31st March 2017. However, the good news is that, as you're on a fixed price tariff, your energy prices will not be affected.

On your current tariff, your energy prices† will stay the same until 30th June 2017. We'll be in touch before then to let you know what happens next and about our best energy deals for you.

Don't worry, there's nothing for you to do for now, except continue to enjoy the benefits of being a ScottishPower customer.

I hate being re-assured. In the movie 2012, John Cusack said, "When they tell you to stay calm, that's when you RUN."
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    Got this in an e-mail today

Not half as dramatic as the one I got from MSE straight after that.....
    💙💛 💔
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They are really trying to make themselves look good, aren't they ?

I'm with another supplier and my fix ends on April 30th.It doesn't need a degree to know that a fixed price is fixed, but they will increase the next available tariff by as much as they dare.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure