We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OVO Smart Meters

neilmcl
neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
Does anyone know if OVO Energy are currently rolling out the new 2nd gen smart meters (SMETS 2)?

I got an email from them today inviting me to have one fitted but I don't want to get one of the old ones.

Comments

  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 February 2017 at 4:18PM
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Does anyone know if OVO Energy are currently rolling out the new 2nd gen smart meters (SMETS 2)?

    I got an email from them today inviting me to have one fitted but I don't want to get one of the old ones.

    Why not ring them and ask. My understanding is that no SMETS2 meters have been installed by any of the suppliers. Rollout is expected to start late 2017 ( but watch this space)

    Update: this Blog is worth a read.

    http://www.baringa.com/our-thinking/baringa-blogs/november-2016/smart-transition-from-smets-1-to-smets-2/
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I dropped OVO an email earlier today, I'll see what they say. TBH, I was under the impression that the rollout for SMETS2 meters was from Feb 2017.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 February 2017 at 9:32PM
    neilmcl wrote: »
    I dropped OVO an email earlier today, I'll see what they say. TBH, I was under the impression that the rollout for SMETS2 meters was from Feb 2017.

    Not if you have got a shed load of SMETS1 meters, and the Government is allowing suppliers to count SMETS1 meters in their SMETS2 figures in the first year following the Data Communications Company live date(Nov 16).

    From the Ofgem policy letter to suppliers:

    SMETS 1 meters being installed today can be counted towards a supplier’s compliance with annual milestones and the 2020 rollout obligation. However, DECC have set a date of 28 October 2017, beyond which any SMETS 1 meters installed would not count but SMETS 2 meters would count. Suppliers should consider how they would demonstrate that a SMETS 1 meter was installed prior to the cut-off date.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • I rang OVO today and was told that currently they are installing SMET1 Smart Meters.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.