We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

My fixed deal ends 30th April should I swap now?

Hi,


I've read the latest MSE newsletter today and want to beat the looming energy price hikes. However I am on the cheapest deal already and this doesn't end until the end of April.
Should I stick or swap?!

Comments

  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 4,088 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Similar situation (May) and wonder what people would do.
    03/26: OD £1200 600 500, CC £3914 3317, family £3100, loan £5618 5306 5036- total: £13832 12323 12003, mortgage £58,243 £57,766 57114
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    womble76 wrote: »
    Hi,


    I've read the latest MSE newsletter today and want to beat the looming energy price hikes. However I am on the cheapest deal already and this doesn't end until the end of April.
    Should I stick or swap?!

    Hi - welcome to the forum. Only you can decide. You have three months of Winter left on your present tariff. How much more would it cost you if you switched tariffs today given that 3 months of Winter probably accounts for 30 to 40% of your annual usage? If you are on gas CH, I would probably stick. If electricity is the primary heating source, then the decision is more difficult as prices have risen - and continue to rise - because of green and social costs.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    STICK - Elec prices have been leaping forward since last Autumn and the chances of finding a tariff even only 15% dearer than yours are zero, and likewise with gas
  • hufc2002
    hufc2002 Posts: 333 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm in exactly the same boat (fixed until end of Apr) and I am going to stick I think.
  • Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 445 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    My EDF fixed tariff ends at the end of April and hopefully will switch only the electricity this week as there are a few deals that can match the 12p per kWh that I am paying at the moment, the best EDF can do now is over 15p per kWh.

    Gas I will leave a few months as it does not seem to be on the rise as fast, currently paying 2.34p per kWh and may as well make the most of it.
    The next cheapest now all seem to be in the 3p to 3.2p range.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 4,088 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Asghar wrote: »
    ... there are a few deals that can match the 12p per kWh that I am paying at the moment, the best EDF can do now is over 15p per kWh.

    ..


    Which ones? When I did a comparison on Comparethemarket I only saved about £46 a year on a £1053 bill with some obscure small company. Did I do sth wrong?
    03/26: OD £1200 600 500, CC £3914 3317, family £3100, loan £5618 5306 5036- total: £13832 12323 12003, mortgage £58,243 £57,766 57114
  • Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 445 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Which ones? When I did a comparison on Comparethemarket I only saved about £46 a year on a £1053 bill with some obscure small company. Did I do sth wrong?

    SSE currently have on their website an Electricity rate of 11.634p per kWh, although their standing charge is 23.02p per day on a 1 year fix. All inc VAT.
    The standing charge is 4p higher than I'm currently paying (£15 a year more) but works out the same overall.

    Gas however is a different matter, will have to pay at least 30% more when my tariff ends.

    That's for East London paying via Direct Debit.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.