We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Moved house looking for best energy deal

allyssa
allyssa Posts: 60 Forumite
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
Hi, I've just moved into a new council house this week. I'm looking to get a good deal on my gas and electric.
There is a gas meter here that is Coop energy and a prepayment electric meter which I think is Eon.
I've had a look at the comparison sites but they assume you are simply switching suppliers rather than setting up brand new accounts.
What is the best way to go about getting a new supplier(s) set up, please?

Comments

  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 8 February 2017 at 11:58AM
    allyssa wrote: »
    Hi, I've just moved into a new council house this week. I'm looking to get a good deal on my gas and electric.
    There is a gas meter here that is Coop energy and a prepayment electric meter which I think is Eon.
    I've had a look at the comparison sites but they assume you are simply switching suppliers rather than setting up brand new accounts.
    What is the best way to go about getting a new supplier(s) set up, please?

    First things first. You must contact both suppliers with your details and meter readings. You are liable for all charges from the start of your tenancy. You will be on what are known as Deemed Contracts. Having done this, you are then free to initiate a switch.

    Ask the present supplier of gas for what is known as the Annual Quantity (AQ) and the electricity supplier for the Estimated Annual Consumption (EAC). These are past usagel figures for your property. Use this figures in a comparison site to calculate your best deal. Bear in mind, that you may use less or even more energy than the previous tenants so watch your consumption carefully, and make sure that you give your chosen supplier/s frequent meter readings.

    Look at a supplier such as Iresa as they have no exit fees.Got it wrong: you can move at will without a penalty.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Good morning allyssa.

    Thank you for the post Hengus :)

    What's been said is spot on.

    You need to contact us and let us know you've moved in so we can open you a new electricity account.

    We'll need all of your details and your meter reads, we'll send you a new Pre-payment key as well, you can use it to top up.

    As Hengus has said, as soon as you've got your accounts up and running you're free to change to a new supplier if you'd like to.

    Hope this is useful.

    I'm always here if you need me :)

    Helena
    “Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.