We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

NPower Back Billing After Refunding

Hi All,

I am posting today after having dealt with NPower over the phone but would like some other advice. I am going to give a bit of back story so please hang in there!

In September 2016 I moved houses, I went through the process online to change my address knowing that I was £390 in credit for my current house. Not overly suspicious as it was a large house over the summer so that was building my credit mound to be chewed through over winter.

After a couple of weeks I called up NPower as the account for my new house was showing £0 as it's starting balance. Surely it should be the £390 that I had from the last house so I called them up.

They said that yes there was the £390 in the old account and asked if I wanted to have it transferred to my bank account instead. Which I agreed with and so they rebated me the £390.

This is where today comes in, I've been back billed for £620 for my old house..! It has become apparent that I was slightly negligent and didn't check my bills even though I had been putting in meter readings and nPower had not been billing me. But I assumed all was well and I had spoken to someone who confirmed my account was closed!

Where do I stand on this? I was under the impression that when I called up and checked for my account to be closed that was it. Why would a representative tell me that all was well, repay me my money only to be billed 6 months later?

If I went into a store and purchased something for £200 and they gave me back £150, they can't turn around and expect me to pay £500 a few months later, so why can npower?

Comments

  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Kylevdm wrote: »
    Hi All,

    I am posting today after having dealt with NPower over the phone but would like some other advice. I am going to give a bit of back story so please hang in there!

    In September 2016 I moved houses, I went through the process online to change my address knowing that I was £390 in credit for my current house. Not overly suspicious as it was a large house over the summer so that was building my credit mound to be chewed through over winter.

    After a couple of weeks I called up NPower as the account for my new house was showing £0 as it's starting balance. Surely it should be the £390 that I had from the last house so I called them up.

    They said that yes there was the £390 in the old account and asked if I wanted to have it transferred to my bank account instead. Which I agreed with and so they rebated me the £390.

    This is where today comes in, I've been back billed for £620 for my old house..! It has become apparent that I was slightly negligent and didn't check my bills even though I had been putting in meter readings and nPower had not been billing me. But I assumed all was well and I had spoken to someone who confirmed my account was closed!

    Where do I stand on this? I was under the impression that when I called up and checked for my account to be closed that was it. Why would a representative tell me that all was well, repay me my money only to be billed 6 months later?

    If I went into a store and purchased something for £200 and they gave me back £150, they can't turn around and expect me to pay £500 a few months later, so why can npower?

    You can find the 12 month back billing rule here

    https://www.energy-uk.org.uk/files/docs/Factsheets%20and%20guides/back_billing_consumer_guide.pdf

    If after considering what it says, you stiull feel you have a vaild complaint, you should file this with the supplier following their complaint procedure. Each complaint is assessed on its own merits so explain exactly how you feel the supplier is at fault for the error in your complaint to them.

    You may want to consider in particular the section headed "The back-billing principle may not apply if you:" before you file a complaint.
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi Kylevdm,

    Please contact us using the contact details on our profile page so we can help with your billing query.

    Thanks

    Jen :)
    “Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.