Holiday in Wales recommendations?

Options
Hello All

I live in Scotland and have never visited Wales. This is something I want to put right and I have a week off at Easter so am looking for recommendations if anyone has any.

I would like to be at or near the beach, ideally self catering 2 bed accommodation and if possible near some shops/restaurants as taking my mil and she can't walk too far.

All suggestions gratefully received! :)

Thanks
Jinx
Light Bulb Moment - 11th Nov 2004 - Debt Free Day - 25th Mar 2011 :j

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    North Wales? South Wales? It's a pretty big country ...

How are you travelling, will that make a difference as to where you go?
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    North Wales for mountains of Snowdonia, Anglesey etc. Barmouth and Harlech for beaches.

Pembrokeshire is similar to Cornwall, with far fewer visitors. St Davids, Whitesands Bay, Cardigan for a few shops etc

South Wales has beaches and Cardiff and Swansea if you want loads of shops!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jinx wrote: »
    I live in Scotland and have never visited Wales. This is something I want to put right and I have a week off at Easter so am looking for recommendations if anyone has any.

I would like to be at or near the beach, ideally self catering 2 bed accommodation and if possible near some shops/restaurants as taking my mil and she can't walk too far.

Llandudno is worth a look - the north coast is the easiest bit of Wales to get to from Scotland - http://www.visitllandudno.org.uk/
  • Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 1,766 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I posted a reply but it seems to have disappeared!

I don't mind which area as long as I'm on the coast - travelling by car and distance isn't an issue as hubby loves to drive.

Thank you all for your input x
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    try here good food a chippy and not far from the town
    https://www.haven.com/parks/north-wales/presthaven/

you can also rent privately from here

http://www.ukcaravans4hire.com/search.php
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    hartcjhart wrote: »
    try here good food a chippy and not far from the town
    https://www.haven.com/parks/north-wales/presthaven/

Bear in mind Wales seems to be a part of the country where chippies aren't using oil when they do their chips. So if you don't eat meat - you need to check first. I have to check since moving here.....
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If hubby loves to drive I suggest Snowdonia and north wales , So much to do in every direction. If your MIL cant walk too far then regardless where you go its not an issue , My son is a wheelchair user and with just a few exceptions most places once in the town centre are fairly accessible some flat with difficulty getting into shops (chester , st davids ) some hilly but nice to get around (Conwy.colwyn bay. New quay tenby) Caernarfon or Porthmadog have a good base and often cheap accomadation . Easters always the start of the season in wales really so roads are not too busy and all attractions are open . Its all stunning and worth a visit but so is Scotland
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 1,766 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I think Llandudno is looking good. I'very seen some lovely sea facing hotels and apartments so think that would give Mil the views even if she doesn't fancy venturing out and the tram and cable car looks interesting along with piers and shops... I'm looking forward to it! Hubby thinks it'll rain, but heyho it rains a lot in Scotland at times! :)
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aberystwyth, there are lots of coastal holiday cottages etc. Its in easy reach of Snowdonia, Harlech etc.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Cardigan bay - maybe New Quay? Dolphins in the bay, glorious countryside, and a short drive from the Preseli Mountains which are less dramatic than the mountains of the North, but absolutely glorious in themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure