We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Which energy company should i use?

I am currently on the British Gas collective switch which ends at the end of February. On all comparison sites the cheapest companies are all ones that I have never heard of. How do I know which to use? They are significantly cheaper that the big 6 and no exit fees. Iresa, Toto, Future Energy, Avro Energy, The Energy Deal, Robinhood Energy, Extra Energy. Are they reliable?
«1

Comments

  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    cholent wrote: »
    I am currently on the British Gas collective switch which ends at the end of February. On all comparison sites the cheapest companies are all ones that I have never heard of. How do I know which to use? They are significantly cheaper that the big 6 and no exit fees. Iresa, Toto, Future Energy, Avro Energy, The Energy Deal, Robinhood Energy, Extra Energy. Are they reliable?

    I choose the cheapest, unless I have a good reason not to.

    If you want some more assurance, perhaps read the feedback threads of the suppliers you are considering.
  • I have wondered this too.
    I am part of the MSE Cheap Energy Club and have been informed that Sainsbury will save me £178 per year with a DD of £71 per month.
    This baffles me because I am currently only paying £54 per month with First Utility.
    Also I cannot see any indication that I will get back £30 through the CEC with Sainsbury. Would someone be able to clarify this please?
    I notice that the £30 is payable with using First Utility, but I am currently with them, my contract ends end of March. If I stay with FU, will I still get the £30 cash back?
    if i had known then what i know now
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 7 February 2017 at 5:41PM
    I have wondered this too.
    I am part of the MSE Cheap Energy Club and have been informed that Sainsbury will save me £178 per year with a DD of £71 per month.
    This baffles me because I am currently only paying £54 per month with First Utility.
    Also I cannot see any indication that I will get back £30 through the CEC with Sainsbury. Would someone be able to clarify this please?
    I notice that the £30 is payable with using First Utility, but I am currently with them, my contract ends end of March. If I stay with FU, will I still get the £30 cash back?

    If you can switch via the CEC (and do so), you will get the cashback (hopefully).

    The anticipated annual cost of the tariff will be shown by the CEC, and if that is £178 cheaper than the cost you paid for the same usage last year, then it sounds like you picked a really bad deal last time (and I'm a little surprised you have not been getting constant alerts from the CEC to tell you so)
  • We went with Extra Energy and saved 25%.They have updated their billing which up to now has been poor but it has been worth it.AMITS
  • footyguy wrote: »
    If you can switch via the CEC (and do so), you will get the cashback (hopefully).

    The anticipated annual cost of the tariff will be shown by the CEC, and if that is £178 cheaper than the cost you paid for the same usage last year, then it sounds like you picked a really bad deal last time (and I'm a little surprised you have not been getting constant alerts from the CEC to tell you so)

    Thanks for your reply, but I seem to be missing something here.-
    I am currently paying £54 per month = £648 per year.

    Sainsbury's tariff is £71 per month = £849 per year.
    How can that be £178 cheaper? :huh:
    if i had known then what i know now
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your reply, but I seem to be missing something here.-
    I am currently paying £54 per month = £648 per year.

    Sainsbury's tariff is £71 per month = £849 per year.
    How can that be £178 cheaper? :huh:

    What does the CEC say your annual cost with FU was last year, based on the anticipated annual consumption figures in kWh you input? ;)
  • footyguy wrote: »
    What does the CEC say your annual cost with FU was last year, based on the anticipated annual consumption figures in kWh you input? ;)

    Hmm I can't answer that, I don't know if that info is still available. I'm just going on these simple figures in my previous post, and I can't get my head round them.

    I did get heads up from CEC, but I would have forfeited £60 to end the contract early, so it didn't seem worth it. My annual consumption of gas & electricity remains pretty much the same, year in year out.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Hi

    I checked Sainsbury's energy about 2 weeks ago and checked again today, they have another option on their webpage, which is a fair bit cheaper. So I'm not sure when you checked, but may pay to run another quote if like me it's been a few weeks.

    No cash back on that with via CEC though :(

    I liked Iresa prices for our usage, but not sure about them with things I've read and how they were on the phone to me/ length time to answer my call.

    If your going to put your foot in it, make sure your wearing fabulous shoes :cool2: :grin:
  • Xenon
    Xenon Posts: 346 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Zog Energy would be my choice - although I have not checked their tariffs against anyone else for a while.

    Good service and clear correct billing (who would have thought that in today's age !)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Thanks for your reply, but I seem to be missing something here.-
    I am currently paying £54 per month = £648 per year.

    Sainsbury's tariff is £71 per month = £849 per year.
    How can that be £178 cheaper? :huh:

    Inflated savings methodology based on the anticipated cost for the next 12 months. The cost is, for example, one month of your present tariff and 11 months on the standard variable tariff. (Assuming one month left on your current tariff)

    This gives an inflated cost. You choose ContheCustomer's soopah doopah Tariff which costs a more than you are paying now but compared to the above calculation it shows a saving. Blame Ofgem not the supplier.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.