We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
EON want to fit a smart meter
Just had a message from EON they want me to book a time so they can fit smart meters, but I only have my Electricity from EON and my gas from Ebico.
I am assuming they want to fit both electricity meter and gas meter does that mean I have to also have my gas with EON or can I still continue to have it with Ebico which works out cheaper for me.
I am assuming they want to fit both electricity meter and gas meter does that mean I have to also have my gas with EON or can I still continue to have it with Ebico which works out cheaper for me.
0
Comments
-
Just had a message from EON they want me to book a time so they can fit smart meters, but I only have my Electricity from EON and my gas from Ebico.
I am assuming they want to fit both electricity meter and gas meter does that mean I have to also have my gas with EON or can I still continue to have it with Ebico which works out cheaper for me.
Why would Eon want to replace your meters?
I suggest you contact them and ask that question, pointing out that they are not your supplier.0 -
Hiya pothole50,
Does it mention on the letter about changing both meters? Or just the electricity to a smart meter?
footyguy is right, we have a smart department and they're the best people to ask. It may be that we're just offering an electricity meter, but best to check.
I can get you in contact with the smart team if you need me
Thank you
Helena“Official Company Representative
I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"0 -
Are they saying you have to book an appointment, or are they telling you appointments are now available in your area and 'inviting' you to arrange an optional replacement?
In which case you can ignore it unless you actually want one.3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux0 -
Thanks for the replies, I have just read the email again and in the corner tucked away it says they are just replacing the electricity meter. I have only just switched to EON on a yearly tariff, what happens if I switch in October to British Gas, what happens to the meter.0
-
Yes it is saying I have to book an appointment0
-
Thanks for the replies, I have just read the email again and in the corner tucked away it says they are just replacing the electricity meter. I have only just switched to EON on a yearly tariff, what happens if I switch in October to British Gas, what happens to the meter.
It's meter and it will still meter your usage BUT it will lose all its smart connectivity as first-generation meters are supplier dependent. The next generation of smart meters should begin to roll out late this year BUT the rollout programme continues to miss most of its deadlines. Personally, I would wait. The new generation of meters will stay smart if you switch suppliers.This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com0 -
Thanks for the replies, I have just read the email again and in the corner tucked away it says they are just replacing the electricity meter. I have only just switched to EON on a yearly tariff, what happens if I switch in October to British Gas, what happens to the meter.
Thank you pothole50,
That makes more sense then
If you would like to have an electricity smart meter you can call to book the appointment, that's no problem at all.
If you then decide to change your electricity supply in a few months, the meter will work just fine, but it won't keep the smart functions. So, you'll need to read it manually and provide the reads for your bills etc.
Thanks again
Helena“Official Company Representative
I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"0 -
It's meter and it will still meter your usage BUT it will lose all its smart connectivity as first-generation meters are supplier dependent. The next generation of smart meters should begin to roll out late this year BUT the rollout programme continues to miss most of its deadlines. Personally, I would wait. The new generation of meters will stay smart if you switch suppliers.
Sorry Hengus, I crossed posts with you
Helena“Official Company Representative
I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"0 -
Thanks for the replies, I have just read the email again and in the corner tucked away it says they are just replacing the electricity meter. I have only just switched to EON on a yearly tariff, what happens if I switch in October to British Gas, what happens to the meter.
You keep it.
You'll be in the same situation as you are now.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
