MSE News: Ofgem confirms levels for prepayment price cap ahead of April launch

in Energy
34 replies 5.2K views
124»

Replies

• superkoopauksuperkoopauk Forumite
    23 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    I see MSE have posted a new article on the cap (I cannot provide the link but it was new on the homepage today)

Titled
    Energy firms to cut average prepay prices next month to hit cap – but some customers will actually pay more

SSE have said half of their electricity customers are getting an increase. I wonder if they have been written to. No mention of the Ebico tariffs though.
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update,
    Ebico replied to my email, essentially saying:
    "Ebico is leaving SSE...if you don't come with Ebico, you will remain with SSE"
    "Ebico's new PPM tariff cannot be gauranteed to be cheaper for you"
    "Therefore, if you want to stay with Ebico on our new price plan you have to opt in."
    "If you choose to stay with SSE, SSE will update you with 30 days notice of any changes being made"

I am still in the dark....
    *From the 1st April my current PPM tariff becomes unlawful.
    *SSE has to give me 30days notice of a tariff increase
    *There is not 30 days left till the 01/04/2017

Would SSE be able to argue that a reduction in cost per kwh, and a standing charge being added on.... does not amount to a tariff increase, and therefore no 30 days notice is required....

Maybe I should email SSE and ask them what they intend to do.
  • WhoIsThatWhoIsThat Forumite
    234 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Wig wrote: »
    Update,
    Ebico replied to my email, essentially saying:
    "Ebico is leaving SSE...if you don't come with Ebico, you will remain with SSE"
    "Ebico's new PPM tariff cannot be gauranteed to be cheaper for you"
    "Therefore, if you want to stay with Ebico on our new price plan you have to opt in."
    "If you choose to stay with SSE, SSE will update you with 30 days notice of any changes being made"

I am still in the dark....
    *From the 1st April my current PPM tariff becomes unlawful.
    *SSE has to give me 30days notice of a tariff increase
    *There is not 30 days left till the 01/04/2017

Would SSE be able to argue that a reduction in cost per kwh, and a standing charge being added on.... does not amount to a tariff increase, and therefore no 30 days notice is required....

Maybe I should email SSE and ask them what they intend to do.

I presume they will simply rely upon the following term of their General Terms and Conditions for the Supply of Electricity and/or Gas
    13.7. We may need to vary this Contract to meet legal and regulatory requirements and you agree to us doing this.
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Update,

Ebico were offering me to follow them to Robin Hood Energy, the offer was about 3.28p Kwh & approx 25p per day standing charge.

or if I stayed where I was, I would remain with SSE, and they would notify me of "any price increase"

I decided to call everyones's bluff and stayed put because come the 1/04/17 my gas tariff would become unlawful, and they could not increase it without 30 days notice. So I thought it will be interesting to see what happens.

I got a letter on Friday or Saturday dated 30/03/2017 from SSE, telling me

From 31/03/17 my gas price will be doming down to 3.28p Kwh with nil standing charge.

For now, my bluff/patience has paid off. Now we wait to see when the price rise letter will come .
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides