We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fix coming to an end - should I change now?

hufc2002
hufc2002 Posts: 333 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Hi all

I am currently on Scottish Powers Online Fixed Price Energy April 2017 which is obviously coming to an end.

With prices continuing to increase, should I fix again now or should I wait?

Scottish Powers Online Fixed Saver March 2018 is currently their cheapest tariff is more expensive than my current tariff.

What should I do?

Comments

  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    hufc2002 wrote: »
    Hi all

    I am currently on Scottish Powers Online Fixed Price Energy April 2017 which is obviously coming to an end.

    With prices continuing to increase, should I fix again now or should I wait?

    Scottish Powers Online Fixed Saver March 2018 is currently their cheapest tariff is more expensive than my current tariff.

    What should I do?

    This is a decision that only you can make. Energy prices are on the increase: particularly, electricity.

    I suggest that you do a full comparison using your last 12 months of consumption in kWhs and not £s to determine the best deals that are available to you. Remember, if exit fees apply you need to wait until you have reached the 49/42 day point before exit fees are waived.

    FWiW, I took a punt last November and I paid an exit fee of £30 as prices were on already on the rise. If I had waited, the cheapest deal would have cost me £78 a year more so I saved £48 by switching early. That said, I could have got it wrong.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • hufc2002
    hufc2002 Posts: 333 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    my usage is a follows:

    Gas: 13757 kwh
    Elec:: 2966 kwh

    My direct debit is currently £55 per month

    I have always been with Scottish Power and never had any issues.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    hufc2002 wrote: »
    my usage is a follows:

    Gas: 13757 kwh
    Elec:: 2966 kwh

    My direct debit is currently £55 per month

    I have always been with Scottish Power and never had any issues.

    Best deals vary with usage and postcode.

    Using your usage and my postcode, Iresa Flex 4 would be my cheapest deal at £79.38 per month. But, as I say, you need to do your own comparison.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 5 February 2017 at 7:01PM
    April is three months away.

    Enjoy the cheap rate while it lasts.

    I'm on the June 2017 fix, and I'm not going to ditch 2.252p per kWh gas in the middle of winter.

    Remember what you fixed for in the first place.

    You fixed it, and then you don't use it, in favour of a more expensive tariff?
    Find a name for yourself. Silly Billy.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.