We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How do I estimate energy usage?

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting and this may be a stupid question (sorry), but I am unsure of how to go about accurately estimating my annual energy usage for the purposes of doing an energy switch. My problem is we haven't lived in the house a year and the most recent bill I have is from over Winter, so will (I hope!) be higher than the rest of the year. Should I just use the "I don't know" option and let the price comparison estimate our usage based on the size of house etc?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,075 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.

    It will only take seconds to enter several estimates into a comparison network.

    Low - enter 8,000kWh gas and 3,000kWh electricity

    Medium 12,000kWh gas and 4,000kWh electricity

    High - 18,000kWh gas and 5,000kWh electricity
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    jpow wrote: »
    Hi everyone, this is my first time posting and this may be a stupid question (sorry), but I am unsure of how to go about accurately estimating my annual energy usage for the purposes of doing an energy switch. My problem is we haven't lived in the house a year and the most recent bill I have is from over Winter, so will (I hope!) be higher than the rest of the year. Should I just use the "I don't know" option and let the price comparison estimate our usage based on the size of house etc?

    Thanks for any help!

    Yes, unless you have a reason why not, or a better option.
  • That's a good idea, I hadn't thought to just do several comparisons!
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 5,045 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    edited 5 February 2017 at 3:22PM
    jpow wrote: »
    we haven't lived in the house a year
    Sounds like you've been in a while in which case you're best off estimating usage - based on meter readings (I assume you took them when you moved in). EG Your bill will show you how many Kwhs you get per meter unit.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 February 2017 at 8:33PM
    If you take a weekly gas reading , multiply the units used by 33 for a 4 dial Imperial gas meter and 11 for a Metric to get to kwhs and then by your gas tariff, add 5% vat .Its not exact but near enough.Thats something I should have done myself having moved house this winter.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,075 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    As the OP said you cannot estimate annual consumption by basing it on a winter quarter,
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.