We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Energy switch, going around in circles

24

Comments

  • LittleJo
    LittleJo Posts: 482 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Hi,
    I am on the BG Collective February 2017 and will need to change.
    The change to the Collective was the only one I have ever done so I am a beginner at this.
    Having read all the posts my plan is a follows.
    Contact BG and see what they will offer
    If , as i suspect they offer nothing, change to a 12 month fix with Iresa dual fuel.
    Give BG a meter reading about 14th Feb so as to be billed on Collective tariff rates.
    They are the cheapest, my understanding is that if they fail another Company will pick up the pieces.
    Keep up monthly readings so as not to be in credit.

    I did say I was new to this and would welcome any advice.
  • Octopus is coming up with good reviews, think I will give them a try,
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    We changed to a couple of the smaller suppliers last year, from EDF & E.on. We switched to Iresa for Electric & Zog for Gas. Have not had any issues with either by supplying a monthly reading. Bills have been spot on. Iresa can be a bit slower updating the info on-line, but it gets there in the end.

    So happy with Zog, that when it came to renewal, signed up with them again, even though they were a few pounds more than the cheapest. Will stay with Iresa until the fix ends later this year and then see what looks the best. Hopeful, Zog will start doing Electric by then. If service from Iresa gets bad, can always switch away, as no exit fee.

    We are so content with Zog and Iresa, that we have just helped an older relative, that lives in the same area as us, to also start a switch to them from their E.on Collective deal that ends soon.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,426 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    So does Iresa require monthly readings ?

    Do they bill on that or an estimator?

    I'm used to quartly DD but the good deals aren't available on quarterly anymore
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    AndyPK wrote: »
    So does Iresa require monthly readings ?

    Do they bill on that or an estimator?

    I'm used to quartly DD but the good deals aren't available on quarterly anymore

    You are free to enter meter readings online whenever you want. They will send an e-mail requesting meter readings for billing purposes once a month. They also send you an e-mail each month with your next DD payment details.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,426 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    That's going to be rather boring (as I'm a low user)

    Do you think if I switch now, will I be able to add gas later ? (10 March)
    They don't seam to do Gas only. Maybe with a phone call I could do it ?
  • Thanks Hengus for taking time to reply. Not going to go with OVO now as I put in two figures the wrong way round. Whoops.

    Iresa still cheapest, but I called them today to see what their customer service was like and it took sales 19 minutes to answer their phone and I was only caller no 2.

    Looked on their fb page and nothing but complaint over complaint. I understand people are quick to moan, so both of these it has put me off.

    So, I've not switched and I haven't got long( v19 ends 21st Feb )

    If your going to put your foot in it, make sure your wearing fabulous shoes :cool2: :grin:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Thanks Hengus for taking time to reply. Not going to go with OVO now as I put in two figures the wrong way round. Whoops.

    Iresa still cheapest, but I called them today to see what their customer service was like and it took sales 19 minutes to answer their phone and I was only caller no 2.

    Looked on their fb page and nothing but complaint over complaint. I understand people are quick to moan, so both of these it has put me off.

    So, I've not switched and I haven't got long( v19 ends 21st Feb )

    I wouldn't judge a supplier just by its call waiting times. Iresa has a pretty good online support system when your account goes live. I should imagine with their low prices they are pretty busy switching in new customers.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Hengus wrote: »
    I wouldn't judge a supplier just by its call waiting times. Iresa has a pretty good online support system when your account goes live. I should imagine with their low prices they are pretty busy switching in new customers.

    Your right, beings they do seem to have the low price. I also was thinking, how often did I call E.ON in the past year ? None til recently and that's only about usage figures. Guy at Iresa said you can email questions, problems etc. I do like to speak to people if I have an issue, though.

    Going to speak with hubby tonight and see what he says, as I've had enough keep checking for quotes, lol. Works out £78 extra per year with Iresa, if I went with one of the big 6 the cheapest is Scottish power and that'd be an extra £198.

    If your going to put your foot in it, make sure your wearing fabulous shoes :cool2: :grin:
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,544 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Our fix (Npower) doesn't end until April 30th, but doing a quote gives Iresa as the best buy. What puts me off is always paying in advance and the fact that the company is very new ,so has little experience.


    The next best is Scottish Power, but the true saving is only about £35 (compared to my provider's current replacement fix) and not the hundreds suggested by basing on most of a year on my current provider's standard rate.


    Then follow some I've not heard of and NPower is the next of the well established companies (including those like Sainsburys). However, I fear that the Npower (and others ) prices do not include the new rises and the ones on offer now are already quite a bit higher than our current tariff.


    If the saving , when moving is possible, is still only £30, I think we'll stay put and do without the possible hassle...There may even be a bonus as Npower give credit when you complain about a mistake.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.