PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Threatening letter from Amazon seller, can you advise please?

Options
I hope this is the right forum, if not please move it to the right one (keep searching but taking too long).

I'm in a right state at the mo, I have learning difficulties and I ordered a book on Feb 17th through Amazon which took a long time to come. It went past he date and i contacted the seller twice but got no reply, so I said I was contacting Amazon UK.

I then got an email saying the item was out of stock and i would be getting a refund back. I got a box pop up asking how feedback was, so I told the truth and said book didn't turn up and still waiting. I stupidly put avoid (which I regret now).

Book turned up this morning with a Post Office claims form, and a sperate envelope containing a letter from the sellers who I ordered this book through.

The letter is unacceptable. It's full of threats about the feedback which I had left. I have since re-wrote the feedback in a more positive manner, seeing as the book turned up eventually.

Some of the content of this letter includes things like:

legal action against me, and how they will make every effort to embarrass me to the Salisbury press and nationality. I am sorry for the feedback which I left, which I have changed (but eventually removed as it wouldn't let me post anything again), but I am not very happy with all these threats etc.

It also goes on to say that he/she is unlikely to make a claim against Royal mail because I hadn't given my family name on the form, however is is surprising what one can find out about people on the internet....:eek:

This letter is worrying because I have mental health issues and learning difficulties and these threats have really upset me, so this person basically is going to trawl the internet to ruin me.

I have messaged the seller to say the feedback is gone, but this has kind of put me off buying from them in the future no matter how good they are.

This is also a worrying issue, as children and people with special needs buy off of amazon, and to receive this sort of nasty little letter would be most upsetting.

Can you please advise me on this matter please?

Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything, but never mind :(

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wrong part of the forum. Ask a guide to move it to the eBay board

BUT

Contact Amazon directly NOT the seller and complain to them.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'm surprised to hear any Amazon seller did that!

I would think your best bet is to go back to Amazon and tell them what this seller has said to you. I don't expect they'll be very happy to see one of their sellers saying something like that.

My experience of giving reviews on products has never produced a nasty response from a seller. They are more likely to "be very nice" to someone writing a bad review for them.

The one time where I commented to Amazon about a seller trying to charge me more than I had agreed to pay - I got straight back to Amazon and complained about it and said I expected the seller to stick to the advertised price for the item. The reason for this attempted overcharge in fact was because it had come from America and a customs charge had been put on it en route. Well - the seller should have known that would happen to that particular item when sent to Britain and allowed for it in the price they charged for the item. I had paid for the item and paid extra to cover the postage and therefore had paid in full as far as I was concerned. Amazon took less than an hour to stop using that seller when I complained about this:T

Hence - my suggestion you contact Amazon direct. They will probably refuse to use that seller any longer and drop them like a hotcake within the hour.

Alternatively - you could just respond to the seller and tell them that if they don't apologise and shut up harassing you, then you will contact Amazon and tell them about this sellers conduct. You could also throw in mention of the "Protection from Harassment Act". What they are doing sounds like harassment to me.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You have done nothing wrong in leaving HONEST feedback and there is nothing the seller can do to you as a result of that.

Do you have anyone you can ask to help you compose a letter to this company?

Does the letter say what you think it says? Sometimes, in the heat of the moment and when in a bit of a panic, we can mis-read things and take them the wrong way.... have another read of what is said. It may not have been intended as a threat.

If you still feel the letter is unacceptable then write back to them and say that you wish them to stop contacting you and that your feedback will be updated with details of their harassment if they continue to bother you.

Also, send a copy of their letter and your response to Amazon and point out that they may wish to 'manage' the seller to prevent any other customers from being disappointed in the service.

On a wider note, if you are worried, do have a look at online personal / data security and find out how you can keep yourself safe from cyber snooping. We all need to be mindful of staying safe and private when using social media.

Online bullying

Just remember though - feedback is there for a reason and you will be helping other buyers by leaving your honest feedback about this bad seller.
    :hello:
  • Aura
    Aura Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2017 at 4:18PM
    Options
    Wrong part of the forum. Ask a guide to move it to the eBay board
    How please?

Hence - my suggestion you contact Amazon direct. They will probably refuse to use that seller any longer and drop them like a hotcake within the hour.
    Then they may come looking for me
  • Aura
    Options
    Do you have anyone you can ask to help you compose a letter to this company?
    See my support worker but she’s not very good at getting back to me quickly.

in the heat of the moment and when in a bit of a panic, we can mis-read things and take them the wrong way.

In the heat of the moment I supidly put avoid, but that’s gone now.
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Hiya
    I had the misfortune of knowing a seller who sent a couple of letters like that. She was an angry and miserable person in her not on line life as well. She wrote really well and it sounded like she would actually take action but she never did. She could see no harm in her letters (which sounded similar to yours).

After several people complained to Amazon they took her off their seller lists and now, 7 years later, they wont let her, or anyone from her IP address (the internet line that the household has) sell on Amazon.

Contact Amazon - you are probably not the only one they have spoken to like this.

I am so sad to hear of your experience
    Take care
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Aura wrote: »

I think you need to calm down... not easy I know when you are so worried about something.

I very much doubt the seller would come looking for you over one piece of feedback - it just wouldn't be worth their time and effort plus it would be harassment and that is something that could lead them into legal trouble.

Contact Amazon and ask them to investigate the seller's reaction to your feedback.... then leave them to it.

As long as you use common sense with personal security in everyday life then there's no reason to worry about this seller anymore that you would worry about any other person in the street.

If the threats / harassment continue and you start to feel unsafe then call 101 and speak to the police.
    :hello:
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    Aura wrote: »
    How please?

They won't come looking for you. They are just venting and being nasty about it.

Ignore the seller, but forward the letter to Amazon and leave it at that.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with tiddlywinks..contact amazon and tell them exactly what the seller said and why they said it. Keep the sellers messages in case you need to refer to them at any point.
    Legal action?? Really, over a feedback comment??
    They would lose and have to pay costs and possibly damages to you for stress and harassment.
    Threatening legal action over such a thing is just a bullying tactic .
  • Aura
    Options
    It is bullying and I'm not having it.
    ignore the seller, but forward the letter to Amazon and leave it at that.

What is the right email as I'm going round in circles trying to locate it? Sorry to be a pain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure