MSE News: Future widowed parents face being 'pushed onto the breadline'

Options
2»

Comments

• King_Drax_I
    Options
    Personally, I'm not sure that a bereavement allowance should exist at all. Yes, the loss of a spouse is upsetting and I'm not unsympathetic, but why should the taxpayer foot the bill? [snip]

I was told that it's there to help the newly widowed 'get back on their feet'. I have certainly found it helpful, especially as I can only work part-time at present becasue now I have to look after my disabled daughter, whereas before, my wife did it.
  • King_Drax_I
    Options
    People here seem to think that the taxpayer foots the bill... but think about it like this: the deceased has paid all their lives into the State Pension scheme, and the surviving spouse will get not one penny of that. The pension, and all those payments, are simply lost. In fact, in order to claim bereavement benefits, there are certain conditions that have to be met, one of which is that the deceased has to have paid enough NI contributions. So it's not the taxpayer at all...also, I will get about £450 per month for 12 months on Widowed Parents' Allowance (and then it will stop); a small sum compared with what my late wife would have received in total had she lived to draw her State Pension for a good number of years. Apart from the cancer that killed her, she was freakishly healthy and would likely have lived into her eighties...
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The pension, and all those payments, are simply lost.
    You don't pay NI for your future pension, you pay for those currently receiving it. Most 20/30 and even 40 yo will be lucky to see any state pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure