We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
British gas trying to get me to have new meter
I keep getting phone calls from British gas asking to install a new meter. I suspect a smart meter. Having already had a new meter installed about 4 years ago when I was with another supplier I feel this is unnecessary. Besides, I do not want a smart meter.
Am I within my rights to refuse ?
Am I within my rights to refuse ?
0
Comments
-
yes , smart meters are NOT compulsory
https://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-advice/Meters-meter-readings/Smart-Meters/the-smart-meter-revolution/Do-I-have-to-have-a-smart-meter.htmlEx forum ambassador
Long term forum member0 -
have they actually stated the exchange is for a smart meter? why not clarify this with them when the call? it may well not be to do with smart. it could be a vast number of reasons. but as i stated, the easiest and most simple way to find out is to actually ask the question.Honest? Probably......sort of.0
-
jackandcoke wrote: »have they actually stated the exchange is for a smart meter? why not clarify this with them when the call? it may well not be to do with smart. it could be a vast number of reasons. but as i stated, the easiest and most simple way to find out is to actually ask the question.
The OP does need to ask for clarification, but it seems very odd to want to change a meter after just 4 years.0 -
They occasionally make innocent mistakes, dont get too excited..right up to the moment a fitter knocks on your door holding his smart meter under his arm you have the right to say NO..This is Not Italy, Portugal ,France , Spain etc etc where they were not given any choice in the matter..This is the liberal thinking UK and you have been given the right to say no, by the government of the day.. I think Labour were in power at the time.
There may well be plans, once the roll out is completed in 2040 , that charges will be levied to all those refusers..Tha`ts what they do in Florida and California. By refusing a smart meter you cause the suppliers extra expense and they may well pass that on to the consumer..Seems fair enoughThis is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

