One night in a hotel every week

Options
My wife will spend about 2-3 months in hospital starting next week, in Glasgow (some way away). I am planning to drive to Glasgow every Saturday morning, stay the night at a hotel and leave on Sunday afternoon. This means I'll book roughly 8-12x one night stays in a hotel.

I will also be attending a course starting in May, for which I might book 6x one night stays, one every month (May -> November).

Can anyone suggest any tips to negotiate a better deal or somehow benefit from a large number of one night stays? I am not a big fan of independent hotels in general - I like predictability. Parking, WiFi and breakfast are important. Where it is in Glasgow is not that important - just outside the city centre would be good to avoid traffic and ease parking.

I have an Amex Platinum card which gives me various status upgrades. The most interesting is the Hilton gold membership (in other words, I believe the others are generally useless), which should get me a late checkout and free breakfast on (hopefully) every stay + 2000 points on each stay via http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/02/01/major-changes-to-hilton-honors/. That would be a DoubleTreet Strathclycde, about £85-90 per night if booked in advance. A bit more expensive than I would like but not too bad given it's a nice place and includes breakfast, WiFi, late checkout and parking.

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You might want to try the UK Holidays board - This is a bit more than "Going out"

Check if the hospital concerned has a "patient hotel" - which families from further away can use when visiting. The one at the hospital here is quite reasonable compared to many local hotels.

PALS at the hospital concerned may also have have details of local guest houses/B&Bs with reasonable rates.
  • prenton01
    prenton01 Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you thought about booking through hotelclub.com
    every 10 nights you get a free night to book at any hotel
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Duckyduck
    Duckyduck Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you phone the hotel/a few hotels on a weekday between 9-5 and ask to speak to the reservations team they can probably negotiate something. (On the weekends it might be other staff taking reservations so might be more likely to encounter computer says no)
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    If you are employed your employer may have a corporate rate that you could use. Do you know anyone who is employed at a large business close to the hospital? If so , they may have a corporate rate number you could use at hotels such as Hilton or IHG.

IHG (Holiday Inn, Crown Plaza and more) do the points system which can then be redeemed for free stays.
  • Aced2016
    Aced2016 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Hi if you go to premier inn and book in advance and pay upfront you can get rooms for £29.00.

I use this often and the rooms are spotless, comfy and there's lots of them in numerous locations.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aced2016 wrote: »
    Hi if you go to premier inn and book in advance and pay upfront you can get rooms for £29.00.

I use this often and the rooms are spotless, comfy and there's lots of them in numerous locations.

Totally agree about Premier Inn but you will be lucky if you can get a reasonable rates for a Saturday night. Is there no way you can change the night you stay,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • theburningcat
    Options
    Thanks all. I will try to haggle with some hotels and try hotelclub.com, any hospital partner hotels (it's a private hospital - not sure if that matters?) and Premier Inn. I am self employed so the only benefits I have are with American Express - but I've seen a cheaper option with Mariott - £66 per night with late checkout, WiFi and breakfast. That seems much more reasonable.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried airbnb instead of hotels?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is Airbn please
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Options
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure