Options
13»

Comments

• mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    I presume you mean you have a Windows Phone?

Sorry to say but the chances are that this app won't get ported to Windows Phone.

Not sure but I think this is about more than a single app, it's an common API for developers to use for multiple apps (which can intern access multiple banks). I do however doubt a developer will develop such an app for Windows phone though, due to its poor and declining market share
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mwarby wrote: »
    Not sure but I think this is about more than a single app, it's an common API for developers to use for multiple apps (which can intern access multiple banks). I do however doubt a developer will develop such an app for Windows phone though, due to its poor and declining market share

I'm not really sure I'd want the API to my bank's systems to be public for developers to use, to be honest.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    I have my gripes with the current approach, which almost always seems to assume that I want to close the old account when I switch. In fact I am perfectly happy to switch payments over myself. I've been doing it for years and never had an issue.

Not sure about an app to view all accounts - what if that gets hacked?
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have my gripes with the current approach, which almost always seems to assume that I want to close the old account when I switch.

It has to close the old account for the Current Account Switch Service to work. Under CASS, any payments made to and from the old account are automatically moved to the new account. How could this work if the old account was still open? If the payments were still switched, the old account would be no use to you even if it was open, because every time you tried to put money into that old account it would be redirected to the new one.
  • fabsaver
    fabsaver Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    More detail needed on the proposals, but I very much doubt that I would opt in.

Imagine the temptation for hackers to try and access just that one app. Security is obviously a huge concern, but is it any riskier than having all your banking logins on one password manager app?

Also wouldn't it be making it incredibly easy for banks to identify and get rid of unprofitable customers? Like many on here I have numerous current accounts to maximise interest and switching incentives. I certainly don't want every bank to be able to access all that information :eek:

One positive is that it might put an end to unnecessary security account blocks. On several occasions I've had an account blocked simply for trying to transfer money to another of my own current accounts. Even when the money is going back to exactly the same account it came from a few hours or days earlier. I think that banks should be able to identify if another account belongs to the same customer and concentrate their security efforts on the ones that don't.
  • Jo_Blogs
    Jo_Blogs Posts: 753 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I certainly won't be opting to share my data, they have enough already! And as for:

"As part of the 'Open Banking' initiative, banks must ensure that customers' data can be shared securely with other banks and third parties (which are likely to be new players or price comparison sites), to allow customers to manage multiple accounts via one app, and so have more control of their cash."

Lovely!!!! I can just see the amount of cold calls and texts received from third parties.........No thanks, I'll give it a miss.....:o:(
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44:starmod: for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 ;)Sept NSDs 4/15:staradminCCCChl 9/12 months:D
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
  • dontgetcaught
    Options
    I use the service provided by First Direct HSBC 'First Direct Plus' it stores my passwords on my computer and allows easy access to my bank accounts. (and you may not need an account with First Direct to have a First direct Plus Account, try it!!!!
    http://www2.firstdirect.com/1/2/banking/ways-to-bank/internet-banking-plus)

It has lots of advantages and having used it since the demise of 'Egg money manager' it is SAFE, all password are stored on my computer and I store all passwords in Keepass again on my computer https://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/reviews.

I control 20 plus current accounts with it, plus credit cards and savings accounts a total of about 40 accounts this situation came about due to age over 70 and not being able to get a small mortgage due to banking rules not credit worthiness.

The reason for this post is that while Martin used to recommend First Direct Plus, I cannot find it on the main site and with open banking I think most people are not aware of such a service, and I would not like to loose such a service due to not enough people using it.

Are there better tools available?

Will this type of service increase in popularity with open banking?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are there better tools available?
    FD's offering is a cut-down implementation of accountunity which has been used by people on here since the demise of EMM.
  • dontgetcaught
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    FD's offering is a cut-down implementation of accountunity which has been used by people on here since the demise of EMM.

I am aware of the ewise offering as ewise provide the workings of First direct Plus, but I think the First Direct offering is better.

The security to log on to FDP is more secure being a two stage process with extra security at the second stage.

Both use active x technology and keep password in users computer(s)

After security FDP give me the benefit categorise and group your accounts allowing better visibility of each type of account, or have I missed something with accountunity.

The 'other stuff' section also allows for you to provide some customisation of your own.

Should something go wrong then a UK bank that I bank with is responsible and I would expect to be compensated.

I cannot see anything it accountunitythat is not in FDP apart from being able to order your accounts in your profile.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure