Drinks packages?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
23 replies 10.7K views
GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
7.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
We are getting married soon (like invitations are already out soon). Based on the numbers RSVP we would be spending just shy of £2500 on drinks package that I'm not that keen on.

The package includes prosecco while serving canap!s, prosecco for the toast and 1/2 bottle of wine per person on the tables.

Now I don't drink wine, neither does OH really. Most of my friends are teetotal or not heavy drinkers, my side of the family are more "spirits" people and at my sisters wedding there was a lot of messing about with swapping bottles between tables and people taking bottles home because wine wasn't being drunk.

I don't want to spend this money on some people getting drunk while others will be going to the bar anyway because they don't drink or just don't drink wine.

The venue are flexible and willing to not do a drinks package (seems mean) or to make something else up for us.

I read on here that someone did half prosecco half beer for their canap!s, does anyone have other ideas for wedding drinks?
Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
(unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)

Replies

• I don't think many people will be getting drunk on half a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses of prosecco but does the package include sparkling water or could you put that in instead of some of the wine?
  • GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like I said it was a minority of people at my sisters wedding who drank all of the wine intended for over 100 people while the majority got drinks from the bar or just had water with their meal. I don't see why I'm expected to lay on wine that I know people won't drink because that's the done thing and would rather have something that more people would enjoy.

There's a bottle of wine from my sisters wedding on a shelf in my aunties house because it ended up in her hand bag, she doesn't drink!
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT

• GlasweJen wrote: »
    Like I said it was a minority of people at my sisters wedding who drank all of the wine intended for over 100 people while the majority got drinks from the bar or just had water with their meal. I don't see why I'm expected to lay on wine that I know people won't drink because that's the done thing and would rather have something that more people would enjoy.

There's a bottle of wine from my sisters wedding on a shelf in my aunties house because it ended up in her hand bag, she doesn't drink!

Well, that's why I suggested that you switch some of the wine for sparkling water. You could also not have the bar open during the meal which would help, unless the venue is using this as a money making thing for them.

How much wine/how many people is that £2,500 for?
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a bar in the room where the meal is being served and it will be open and functioning during the meal so no reason why people can't go to the bar.

I like the idea of water on the table with the wine. If we did water, white and red we could probably cut it down to 2 x prosecco and 1/3 bottle wine per guest.

I'm having 90 adult guests, the standard package is £27.50 a head.

NOT BUYING IT

• IzadoraIzadora Forumite
    2K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    The venue are flexible and willing to not do a drinks package (seems mean) or to make something else up for us.

As they're willing not to do a drinks package could you just put the £2,500 behind the bar? That way you're still providing drinks for people but they get what they want.

I know you still end up with it being slightly unfair on those who don't drink but at least it saves a load of wine going to waste.
    There's a bar in the room where the meal is being served and it will be open and functioning during the meal so no reason why people can't go to the bar.

I like the idea of water on the table with the wine. If we did water, white and red we could probably cut it down to 2 x prosecco and 1/3 bottle wine per guest.

I'm having 90 adult guests, the standard package is £27.50 a head.

That seems an large amount of money for half a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses of Prosecco.

(If wine's included with the meal, is the bar mainly for soft drinks?)
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bar is just open as standard I think. The drinks packages seem nice from the point of view that these people are our guests and we want to entertain them but it just seems like such a waste because the packages aren't what we drink.

NOT BUYING IT

• 7roland87roland8 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Sound crazy to me. Why not just a drink when they arrive and half glass for toast plus water on table - then those who want can buy their own - unless you are made of money of course.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • ceb1995ceb1995 Forumite
    369 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    If you're having a lot of teetotal guests then I'd say cut down on the drinks offered from the package, maybe have one with canapes and one with the toast then offer water or some soft drink for the tables, and spend the rest of the money elsewhere?

We're not bothering with canapes, but we're having one glass of bucks fizz or orange juice before food and then a glass of sparkling wine for the toast. As we're both teetotal, we (admittedly selfishly i suppose) don't want to spend too much on other people drinking, the £3 per person saved from the original package (and two free hotel rooms i negotiated) meant we could afford 5 extra guests than originally planned too.
    The bar is just open as standard I think. The drinks packages seem nice from the point of view that these people are our guests and we want to entertain them but it just seems like such a waste because the packages aren't what we drink.

Will people be able to buy bottles of wine from the bar or will they have to buy it buy the glass?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals