We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Need help identifying plants

Options
The house I've moved into has an incredibly overgrown garden and I'm in the process of deciding what to keep, re-site or get rid of. I'm new to gardening and frankly can't even tell what's weeds or not yet! To start with, can anyone help identify any of the plants in the following photos?

IMG_1325_zpszhoktglm.jpg

IMG_1322_zpsqa6ddcrk.jpg

IMG_1323_zpssrp54gib.jpg

IMG_1324_zpsssfeaajd.jpg

Comments

• JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    To start you off - 3 is Hellebore, 4 is ivy or something similar.

Can't think of 1 and 2 at the moment, are they actually in flower now or were the photos taken at another time of year?
  • andymandy
    andymandy Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    1st plant looks like Cotoneaster but not sure what its is mixed with. It could be a Pieris looking at the leaves but not sure.
    Don't recognise 2nd plant with yellow flowers but third image looks like Helleborus Foetidus . 4th plant is ivy.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    2ns plant looks like some member of pea family, or perhaps St John's wort?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • jordanjim
    Options
    Thanks for the good start, everyone. The photos were taken today so yes, the first two are in flower.

Having looked it up just now I think the bottom left plant in photo 1 is definitely Cotoneaster. It seems to have wild-rooted all over the place, including in the other bush in the photo. That bush is about 6' high, 5' wide and wasn't flowering during late summer or autumn, if it helps.

The plant in the 4th photo is mixed in with ivy but is definitely different, or perhaps is a different member of the ivy family. It has clusters of those starburst/dandelion shaped seed pods that are in the centre of the photo, and the leaves get quite elongated and straggly towards the ends of the branches. It seems to twine upwards around plants, but doesn't spread sideways over the neighbouring paving slabs like normal ivy. It's so dense that I didn't even realise that there was a poor, choked hydrangea bush under it until I started cutting it back.
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Those "starburst" things are mature ivy flowers/fruits. When ivy gets old it changes like that. Bees love them!
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've looked in my books but still can't come up with a name for the top plant in picture one. As andymandy says, it looks like Pieris but the flowering time is wrong. Perhaps you could cut a bit off and take it to a garden centre and ask the staff, or see if they have it in stock. The yellow flowering plant is also a mystery, maybe another question for the garden centre?

I think the plant which looks like ivy is a weed as you see it growing in hedges, it attracts the bees in the autumn.

I'm assuming you're in the UK?
  • jordanjim
    Options
    Really showing my ignorance here, I had no idea those were ivy seeds, I'd never seen them before! I'll just have to plant something else the bees might like when I get rid of it.

JulieM, yes, I am in the UK. Thanks for the suggestion, I might take the mystery two to the garden centre this weekend.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd have the top one in the first pic as a pieris too. And as for flowering time...well, mine is in flower at the moment in Highland Scotland!
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the yellow flowered one is a coronilla.
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If possible, please don't get rid of the ivy, it's good for birds (berries and nesting) as well as bees. Reduce it by all means but please try to keep a patch.
    1) Cotoneaster at front, Pieris behind
    2) sorry, not sure, but not Hypericum (St JOhn's wort)
    3) A hellebore with a Choisya in the background
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport