Ktichen fitting quote

Hello, hoping for some advice.

We are looking at a new kitchen. Have a quote from howdens via a kitchen fitter. The kitchen quote is c£8k (which I am happy that we can negotiate and reduce/source oven/hob elsewhere), however, my concern is the fitting quote!

The job includes:
- Removal current kitchen (corner kitchen: 2 larder units, 10 single units) - keeping our free standing washing machine, dishwasher and integrated fridge/freezer
- Installation of Howdens kitchen - so pre-built units
- Washing machine, dishwasher, hob, sink, extractor hood, boiler and water softener are all in the same position so just require re fitting/plugging in!
- Oven and fridge moving around the corner, but a double plug already exists
- Some under cabinet LEDs but we already have 3 so wiring exists.
- new kitchen has 4 tall units (including one for the raised oven and one for the fridge/freezer), 7 single units (3 raised), and a stickout/island area with 2 cupboard widths. We will need a new sink plumbed which includes a filter tap
- No tiling required - fitting glass splashbacks and raised- edge work top and quote doesn't include any painting or plastering that may be required

Current quote is.... £4750 (labour/parts/skip hire).... Am I mad to think that is a bit steep??!!

Thanks

Tojujoal

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    On the face of it, with no building work, yes, a high price.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • He reckons 3.5wks of work... I just cant get my head around it...
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Get more quotes! Is it a big kitchen?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Without looking at it we would put it at 2 weeks work. Its not a straightforward fit (only homeowners ever think it will be easy). You will have to do an upgrade on the kitchen electrics if they are not RCD protected, so there may be an element of that in there. Plus is he VAT registered? There is £700 of VAT in there if he is. TBH The only way to find out is get other quotes.

I would suggest that whoever you pick get references and try and see their work. Don't make decisions just on price. A cheap kitchen can look stunning with the right fitter. Conversely, bodge it bob will ruin one of your most expensive home improvements.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • I would have thought the oven would need its own RCD and isolation switch not simply be plugged into an existing socket? Unless its a microwave.

We are getting a kitchen fitted in a new extension so our builders will have done all the electric work etc required. So this is just the fitting and we have had a few quotes all around £2k. Kitchen is not massive, but not tiny either..May give you a rough idea?
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would have thought the oven would need its own RCD and isolation switch not simply be plugged into an existing socket? Unless its a microwave.

A single cavity oven rated at under 3kw are effectively 'plug in ovens' and are rated at 13amps and therefore can be plugged in.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • whats his hourly rate or has he just given you a price? Don't base everything on price tho I'd fit your kitchen for 2k and I've never fitted a kitchen in my life make sence ��
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure