Time limit on car insurance claims?

Options
Hello everyone!

Does anyone know what is time limit on car insurance claim? I know that for personal injuries it is 3 years from the date of car accident. What about time limit for car damage claim?

I have found on this forum similar thread but it has been posted in 2006....

thank you!

Comments

• dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're supposed to report an accident straight away. I don't think they will be very lenient on reporting incidents much after 24 hours...
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you mean time limit on reporting the incident or settling the claim once started?
  • mikee__2
    Options
    I have reported the accident immediately to my insurance company. My question is about time limit on settling the damage claim.

What I have found here is.... "The time limit is six years from the date of the accident for damage claims and three years for injury claims"

Is this true?
  • Billy_Bullocks
    Options
    Six years.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 January 2017 at 6:52PM
    Options
    mikee_ wrote: »
    I have reported the accident immediately to my insurance company. My question is about time limit on settling the damage claim.

What I have found here is.... "The time limit is six years from the date of the accident for damage claims and three years for injury claims"

Is this true?

Generally yes, in England and Wales.

Six years is the time by which a claim must be issued through the court - AFAIK there is no time limit for the case to be settled.

In my own experience of a medical negligence case, the claim was issued within the 3 year limit (for personal injury), but it took a further 3 years to reach a settlement.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    The time limit for minors injury claims is different.

They have till their 21st birthday to make a claim
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And the 3 years for injury starts from when the injury became apparent/was linked to the accident, it could be 5 years before a doctor links your constant back pain to a fractured vertebra from the accident, and you still have another 3 years to claim.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Billy_Bullocks
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    And the 3 years for injury starts from when the injury became apparent/was linked to the accident, it could be 5 years before a doctor links your constant back pain to a fractured vertebra from the accident, and you still have another 3 years to claim.

He's not much of a doctor the is he?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport