PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord won't return depoist

So we have moved out and he is now claiming he needs all 850 of it, partly for rent which I agreed to but he wants 60 pounds for cleaning the oven which was cleaned and we have photos, he has sent a photo that is not of our oven. Also to redecorate the flat as there are some marks on the wall, which I believe is wear and tear as when we moved in we had marks the same.

Also our front window was cracked for months and we had two weeks without hot water in the shower, all recorded with emails we sent and nothing was done.

Our deposit is in a secure thing, do I just get in contact with them? Do I need to request it back? I have emailed back and said we are willing to pay the rent amount and anything he can prove we caused actual damage beyond wear and tear?

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The cracked window and broken shower are irrelevant in terms of getting your deposit back. If you cannot agree with your landlord about how much he can deduct use the deposit scheme's arbitration service...it's why they exist.

Also read Deposits: payment, protection and return.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Kittyrules wrote: »
    So we have moved out and he is now claiming he needs all 850 of it, partly for rent which I agreed to - you should really have paid the rent on time and then claim the deposit. You may be liable for late fees if these were specified in the tenancy agreement. but he wants 60 pounds for cleaning the oven which was cleaned and we have photos, he has sent a photo that is not of our oven. - poor form on the part of the landlord. Provide your before & after pictures to the deposit scheme, you should be able to dispute this. Also to redecorate the flat as there are some marks on the wall, which I believe is wear and tear as when we moved in we had marks the same. - So were the marks wear and tear or were they already there? Those are different things. For example furniture scuff marks may be wear and tear, but random, actual marks which weren't there before are likely to be your problem.

Also our front window was cracked for months and we had two weeks without hot water in the shower, all recorded with emails we sent and nothing was done. - did you follow up with the LL in writing? Either way, once the tenancy is over, this is irrelevant

Our deposit is in a secure thing, do I just get in contact with them? Do I need to request it back? I have emailed back and said we are willing to pay the rent amount and anything he can prove we caused actual damage beyond wear and tear?

Yes, contact the deposit scheme - there's often something you can log into and dispute the amount once the LL has put in their claim.
  • DeborahSt
    DeborahSt Posts: 31 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2017 at 4:09PM
    Definitely contact the deposit scheme. What the landlord wants, and what he is entitled to are not always the same thing.

Unless the window cracked due to some structural issues, I believe it would be the tenants responsibility to replace (check your agreement)

You mentioned some arrears - did you have these at the time when you were without hot water? I only ask as people are less likely to push issues whilst they are essentially in the wrong. If your landlord did ultimately fix this, you can't really expect it to be set off retrospectively. Any hardship should have been dealt with at the time.

Your inventory & check in report plus schedule of condition should have noted the condition of the d!cor and all marks to walls etc. If you were not present for check in you would have been given a timescale in which to lodge any discrepancies. If you did not, it will be assumed as accepted.

The check out document is the one on which any dilapidations will be assessed. Fair wear and tear will be based on age/condition of d!cor at start of tenancy, and length of your tenancy.

D e cor changing to d!cor!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport