Renew driving licence - use new photo?

Options
glider3560
glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
My driving licence is due to be renewed soon. The online application only lets me use my passport photo (which was taken 9 years ago, when I was 17). I've lost quite a bit of weight since then and look fairly different. I don't really want a photo of a 17 year old me when I'm 36.

Short of getting a paper application form and paying the increased fee to apply at the Post Office, is anyone aware of a way of using a different photo?

I don't want to renew my passport yet (due Feb 2018, so can be done in May at the earliest) as it has a visa in there that I will be using later in the year.

Comments

• EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No other option, you either use your passport photo or a new one via a paper application. I agree it's a ridiculous system - I personally feel the passport should have at least 5 years left to do that or it defeats the purpose of needing a new passport/licence every 10 years due to the photo.
    In my case I was able to take the SAME photo off my passport and have it put on my renewed licence for a further 10 years as they're 6 months apart and I used the same photo at the time, utterly pointless. I didn't do that, I sent a new photo in for the same reasons you want to change yours. But the system would have let me which is daft.
  • zak2012
    zak2012 Posts: 326 Forumite
    Options
    i renew it mine at post office yesterday, they sent electronically to DVLA, i didnt fill any forms,i just signed and they took my photo all for £21.50
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zak2012 wrote: »
    i renew it mine at post office yesterday, they sent electronically to DVLA, i didnt fill any forms,i just signed and they took my photo all for £21.50
    It's £14 online and £17 by post, so there's a £4.50 premium for the PO to take a photo. I'd rather take my own at home, considering I'll be stuck with it for 10 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure