Credit card for back-up

Options
Hi, Can anyone tell me if you can get a credit card just as a back-up that doesn't charge you for having it but not using it or interest free if you you clear the bill in time. I have never had a credit card before and know nothing about them? Any advice would be helpful.

Many Thanks,
Bigfish94

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The majority of the mainstream cards do not charge a fee, and there is never any interest to pay if you clear the balance in full each month.

Worth noting, some ( most ? ) lenders will close the account if there is no activity on the card for a couple of years. So it's worth putting a transaction through every couple of months or so just to keep it active - say, a grocery shop, or a tank of fuel, just something that you need to buy anyway. Pay it off in full as soon as the statement arrives, no interest to pay.
  • Bigfish94
    Options
    Thank you very much for your reply that makes it a lot handier to do and a good tip to keep it active.
    Bigfish94
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The majority of the mainstream cards do not charge a fee, and there is never any interest to pay if you clear the balance in full each month.

Always check the summary box and t&cs though.

See the summary box for this TSB Advance Mastercard:

http://www.tsb.co.uk/credit-cards/purchases/advance-credit-card/

Summary Box (Note the interest-free period, there isn't one!):

http://www.tsb.co.uk/credit-cards/purchases/advance-credit-card/summ_box_advance_all.pdf
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not save up cash and have an emergency fund instead? Then you won't be tempted to use the card or ever have to pay interest. It can't get stolen or lost etc and if you have a loss of income emergency you won't be stuck with a credit card you can't pay back.
  • Bigfish94
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. One of the main reasons I was looking for a card was that when I hire a car abroad they are looking for a credit card to hold over the excess payment which can be 800-1000 Euro I hope not to have anything go wrong so the card won't be used. I also have my own excess insurance but they still insist on a credit card they won't even let you use cash on picking up the car. I know that sounds mad but that's the way they do it. I have the funds set aside to cover this but I still need a credit card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure