GBP Deposit Whilst in Australia

Options
Hello,

I am a U.K. Citizen who has moved over to Australia on a 1 year working holiday visa.

I have £5,000 in cash with me and was hoping to exchange this up at one of the many foreign exchange booths but the exchange rates are really bad compared to the actual rates.

My question is, does anyone know of a way I can get that £5,000 into my UK account? I bank with HSBC and I know there is HSBC out here.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is your source of 'actual rates' and what rates are the exchange booths giving today?

You can ask at an Australian HSBC branch, but I very much doubt that they will let you open a GBP account and accept your cash for transfer without an expensive conversion to AUD and back plus various charges, adding up to far in excess of what you will lose by simply exchanging cash.

You made a mistake not to read the MSE advice on foreign spending and obtain a suitable fee-free card to use, instead of taking cash. You may find exchange bureaux away from tourist areas that give better rates. Otherwise, do you have the time and boldness to ask people about to enter exchange booths if they happen to need pounds and would like an excellent rate..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lewb86 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am a U.K. Citizen who has moved over to Australia on a 1 year working holiday visa.

I have £5,000 in cash with me and was hoping to exchange this up at one of the many foreign exchange booths but the exchange rates are really bad compared to the actual rates.

My question is, does anyone know of a way I can get that £5,000 into my UK account? I bank with HSBC and I know there is HSBC out here.

Walk into any bank branch and get a quote to move the money to your UK bank account. I like Commonwealth Bank (commbank) which has ties in several countries including the USA. You might find that you have a better rate than exchange booths.

Personally, I don't have a problem with cash in Australia because my relatives put it into their bank account and then give me the dollars. But if you do that you should of course be sure you trust the other party or else your money could go walkabout.

Lastly, Australia is no different to the UK in fraud prevention: It could be that attempting to move a relatively large sum of money could raise eyebrows.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Answers to your question depend on what you are hoping to achieve. If you get the money back to your UK account will you leave it there? Do you want to convert the GBP cash into AUD cash to use there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure