Does Section 75 Cover Additional Card Holders?

Options
organic_wanabe
organic_wanabe Posts: 808 Forumite
edited 30 January 2017 at 12:15PM in Credit cards
Apologies if this has been mentioned before but if it has then I missed it!

On reading The Money Section of the Saturday Times this weekend, I was surprised to find out that Section 75 may only cover the main cardholder and not additional cardholders. It was pointed out that this is the case with Barclaycard. Their website states 'If you buy an item or service worth between £100 and £30,000 with your credit card, Section 75 covers your purchase' and 'Section 75 applies to every credit card and mean your credit card company is jointly responsible with the retailer'. It is only when you click on 'what it does and doesn't cover' that you find it doesn't cover 'purchases made by additional cardholders but purchases made on behalf of the main cardholder may be covered'.

A quick search also found this:
http://www.choose.net/money/guide/faqs/section-75-additional-cardholders.html

I presume this means that all the flights and hotels I have booked in the past using my husband's credit card may not have been fully covered. Does this mean that in future we should consider booking flights separately to ensure we are both definitely covered if anything goes wrong?

Does anyone know of a credit card provider that covers both cardholder and additional cardholders under Section 75?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why can't the main cardholder just book the flights for both of you?

I'd imagine that the answer to your final question is No, because S75 is legislation. If any card issuer offered protection to additional cardolders it would be based on their T&Cs rather than law.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I presume this means that all the flights and hotels I have booked in the past using my husband's credit card may not have been fully covered.

If your husband is the additional cardholder, then potentially yes.

But if you are making the booking, you should be using your card anyway, as the primary cardholder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure