I keep getting fake Amazon emails

Options
2»

Comments

• davietich
    Options
    Thanks guys, have changed my password to a much stronger one!! It's getting very dodgy out there now on the web!! Again thanks for your replies.
    Davie
  • davietich
    Options
    What's a good free password manager??
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    davietich wrote: »
    I had an email from Amazon this morning at 11.17am confirming that I had changed my email address which I had not !! so went on to my Amazon account via browser to find it actually had been changed by one letter. I immediately changed it back and changed my password as well but when checking my order's I found that there was an order for some obscure item( which I for not make) for over 150 pounds made at exactly the same time as my email address changed.
    Have contacted Amazon and they have escalated it and cancelled order but I dont know how someone was able to access my account and changed my personal log in details as I am the only one that knows password. Amazon claim they have no breach at their end & claimed they did not send me the email!
    Anyone had anything similar happen or can shed some light on this?
    I have also removed my payment card from my Amazon account meantime.

Very similar happened to me.
    DD2 gave me her kindle that she didn't use. I set it up with my details and then a few months later unbeknown to me, I had changed my email address!
    By the time I had realised this, I had allegedly changed it three more times and was now locked out of the kindle with no means of contacting Amazon only by phoning them!
    That was very tedious!
    Rather strangely, despite me having a CCard linked to the Kindle, the hacker hadn't purchased anything!

I have now re-registered the kindle without a CCard :)
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just mark the email address as spam, you'll never be bothered again.

Yes, because that email address is the only sender of spam on the internet :T
  • AndyPix
    Options
    yvonne13 wrote: »
    The email says if I haven't ordered anything i should click on a link to get a refund.
    Its just the modern version of the old fax scam ..
    You get a fax confirming an order you never made, and at the bottom it tells you that if there are any problems to call this number (premium rate)
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I a few months back did the send a code to my mobile when I login to my Amazon account. Unless I put the code in I cannot access my account.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    That's called 2 factor authentication
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts