E111 (Now EHIC) How far in advance can I renew.

Options
My E111, which I believe has now been replaced by an EHIC, expires later this year. How far in advance can I renew and how do I go about renewing as It is a different card although I understand only the name has changed.

Comments

• scumsthorne
    Options
    do it now, remember its free
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You dont renew like a passport, you just get a new card and you can apply anytime.

Both will remain valid until their expiry date.
  • Wayne's_Woes
    Options
    I had no idea idea you could have a E111 and EHIC running concurrently. Mine does not expire until December, but I might as well apply now. What is the official web site to apply as I know my brother nearly got caught out using a web site he thought was official which wanted to charge him. Any information will be appreciated.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think mine has a Newcastle phone number on the back. Last time I just rang and requested a new one.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had no idea idea you could have a E111 and EHIC running concurrently. Mine does not expire until December, but I might as well apply now. What is the official web site to apply as I know my brother nearly got caught out using a web site he thought was official which wanted to charge him. Any information will be appreciated.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The E111 hasn't been issued since 2005, I'm very surprised that all of them would not have expired at some point in the last 12 years, to the point that I doubt whether the OP currently has a valid E111.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make sure you also take out travel insurance.
  • Wishful_Thinker
    Options
    Looking at the official website my interpretation is that you can only renew 6 months in advance and you lose any remaining time on your old one. Always ensure it is renewed in plenty of time as if your old one runs out whilst you are away or receiving treatment for an illness/accident that has meant you were unable to return to the UK and have to stay in hospital you may not be covered.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Use unforeseen's link in post no 6 to avoid dodgy sites charging you for something that should be free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure