Council screw up over student entitlement (copy also on Student board)

I am in a situation where I get work related esa, but study a college course as permitted by jobcentre, I do not get a grant or loan just fees waived as on benefits.

Its a basic course so even if I wasn't on benefits I would not get a loan.

I moved house where things were fine, though I do remember getting a letter at old address stating benefit was on hold due to querying how a student can get benefits and I just handed in a short letter explaining this and it was reinstated.

This time it states I must provide evidence of a student loan, and proof the DWP knows about me being a student

This is very stressful for me as one of the reasons I get esa is down to mental health problems and anxiety,

So now I have all weekend to suffer stress.

What can I do? In part I am angry the staff are untrained enough they assume everyone who claims benefits as a student isn't entitled!

Comments

• Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Nothing to get stressed about.

Write a letter explaining that the level of course you are doing is not eligible for student funding. If possible get confirmation of this from your college.

Provide written confirmation from the DWP that you are permitted to study whilst in receipt of ESA.

Keep copies of the above in case you are asked again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure