Get a grip woman!

Options

Comments

• trix-a-belle
    trix-a-belle Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    SL I picked up a paper briquette maker from facebook as wanted to do them for my wood burner but found you need such a good period of warm weather to dry them out properly you'd be very limited in the UK and got rid of it fairly quickly again.
    There were some good videos for tips on YT if you do have a go, the tips I recall were use a bucket with holes in to hold the paper in and place that in another without holes which will hold the water so more water could be removed once the paper was soaked and meant the water could reused for multiple batches rather than thrown away, or use a mesh laundry bag to hold the paper for similar ability to squeeze out lots of water, the other was put 2 pieces of plastic pipe in the brick across the width that slide out once its semi dry to give more surface area on the brick (like some building bricks have)
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd also busted
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,459 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Excellent news to be in the 30k :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks Trix - I think I have seen that video. It sort of put me off. I think I will use the sensitive paperwork to light fires in our wood-burning stove - either that or a 100 mile round trip so I can put it in a confidential waste bin at my old office.

Thanks beanie, your support is always appreciated x
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I will use the sensitive paperwork to light fires in our wood-burning stove
    I've got a whole tote bag by the back door of plain paper thats going to go in my little incinerator - I don't want to put much stuff in there with sellotape etc or coloured inks, because I want to put the ashes on the garden.

Great news on that last bit of mortgage fiddling :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Doh moment! I have waited in this morning for a RM delivery between 09.39 and 11.39, only to look again and find it is tomorrow! What am I like? :o - no need to answer that rhetorical comment! Time to go out!
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • trix-a-belle
    Options
    I think I will use the sensitive paperwork to light fires in our wood-burning stove - either that or a 100 mile round trip so I can put it in a confidential waste bin at my old office.
    Shred it and compost it?

Karma, are there any plants in particular that its worth putting ashes on please.
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Shred it and compost it?

That was my first thought but there is so much it will burn out our little shredder. I have been into the library but theirs is the same size as ours.

And being thatched we are not allowed to have a bonfire or an incinerator. I may have to go for a commercial one-off mobile shred service :eek:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Karma, are there any plants in particular that its worth putting ashes on please.
    That's a very good question, trix, and I currently have no idea of the answer :o:o:o

Oh my! I googled a bit, and its an even better question than I realised:
    RHS: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=621
    https://www.growveg.co.uk/guides/using-wood-ash-in-the-
    https://practicalselfreliance.com/wood-ash-uses/
    vegetable-garden/ (seems to use good reference material).
    Tiny little smallholding in Vermont - specifically mentions tomatoes.
    Erm, sorry for the hijack, SL :o

And being thatched we are not allowed to have a bonfire or an incinerator. I may have to go for a commercial one-off mobile shred service :eek:
    Oh my! That would be horrendous :eek:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Debsnewbudget
    Options
    There is a shredding company near Manchester that allows the community to shred stuff for free as long as they take it to the plant themselves
    Might be worth investigaring locally
  • trix-a-belle
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    That's a very good question, trix, and I currently have no idea of the answer :o:o:o

It sounded like you were an authority ;) no worries i have no clue but chuck them at the base of my roses in a vague attempt to keep things going.

SL
    just do a little a day, like PAD but SAD? (needs a better acronym, maybe SABAD shred a bit a day)
    i'm a glutton for punishment so when i have a paperwork sort out i sit there and feed it through a few sheets at a time till its done
    - Student Loan gone
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback