Get a grip woman!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
1.5K replies 117.2K views

Replies

• Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only two days to go until my massive-smassive credit card bill is paid. And only two more payments after that this month from that account so things about to go very quiet over there.

In lesser money things, I am trying to go most of this week without going shopping as my fridge was so full. We used two leeks last night in a cheese sauce and served with some tiny new potatoes from our garden. I think they are Charlotte - very waxy and will be good in salads.

We also went cherry picking yesterday, picking several containers of morello cherries. Happy to share these with some of the local households. An hour's effort for us and four households with a super-large punnet. Enough for a rumtopf for Xmas, or a pie, or jam. I have made three jars of jam with mine.

We also acquired some more leek plants that will be under-planted inside the bean wigwams, ready for the winter. I have butternut squashes that need to go in today if we get an early start before it is too hot. I have been up since about 4.15am to get ahead with things I know it will be too hot for later. Ooh, washing machine has just beeped to say it has finished. Must dash...

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £2161.30/£5k 28.72% after Apr
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £863.93/£3k 28.8% so far at end of April
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £7,678.12/£15,000 51.9%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £50,483/£59,998 or 84.14% paid after Q5
    My Debt Free Diary is here
  • Busy_Mee1Busy_Mee1 Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yum homegrown produce. I am really impressed with how much you are growing yourself, particularly as you work such long hours. I have managed a few tomato and courgette plants in pots, but want to grow a lot more when I retire.
    That seems to be the strap line of my life now...."when we retire we can do x,y and z". It is really strange how this comes upon you, not very long ago I wouldn't have contemplated not going to work and now I can't wait :D
    4.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well the fridge is bare, except for cheese, half a dozen eggs and some bits of sprouty salad (radishes) and wilted lettuce. I might do the Nigella thing with roast cos lettuce...

Outdoors we have now picked gooseberries and blackcurrants and they are all frozen. We adore gooseberries. We pruned the bushes as we went so hopefully they will sprout and make new growth between now and autumn so that they will make plenty of fruit next year too. There was also the side benefit of not being as lacerated as previous years. I want to reorganise some fruit beds but now is not the time.

The cherries made fantastic jam. They were grown by my neighbour and are grown as a cordon against a brick wall. I have no idea why the birds had not found them. They got ours. All of them!

All my lovely little block of sweetcorn are mere stumps having provided a meal for the bl**dy bunnies. A neighbour has offered me an air rifle with a telescopic sight. I don't think my shooting is good enough so will ask the local Farm Manager, once the harvest is in from the field.

In money news, I emailed my new electricity supplier and asked them to provide readings to the old one so they can bill me. I am getting worried now as only have a couple of weeks until we are away and I know I had underpaid, from the readings. I have moved £300 into the account so I don't go overdrawn. I want to cancel the DD too. Otherwise it has all gone a little flat here. Just the Oyster top up left to come out of the bills account. And two weekends away from the other one, although the CC is on standby for the second weekend. Anything left and I will make a mortgage overpayment on DH's pay-day, just to make the numbers round. I do love round numbers; in my TT account, in my current account, and the mortgage. Imagine how awful the DG payment is. £397.98 ! :)

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the produce sounsd wonderful, SL (except losing your crops to the birds)! HM cherry jam, wow ... Building up to your holiday ...
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    4.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ugh, I hate this stage in the month. All the payments I have scheduled have been made and we are down to small amounts in both accounts. No TT to make as nothing being spent. Savings look miserable and that horrible CC bill means no mortgage over-payment this month. Hurumph!

We will spend tonight/tomorrow as we are going away for the weekend (camping) and must buy a little food to take.

Garden is a disaster and work is utterly bonkers. I am keeping the stress factors in small compartments of my brain so they do not overwhelm me. Thank goodness for wellbeing techniques!

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear all that, SL :( As you say, small compartments (except the camping, which sounds great!).
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • Mrs_Money_PennyMrs_Money_Penny Forumite
    782 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Suffolk Lass I had the day off yesterday and read all of your diary. Have throughly enjoyed it. Could of cried with you when your Christmas cakes had gone mouldy and laughed when your chicken fillet dinner turned out to be pears. You are doing so well. I’m around your age and also want to retire before my state pension age of 67. Had breast cancer 2 years ago so determined to enjoy life more. My husband as thinking of working until 62 so I may carry on for a bit after my 60th. I’m planning on pay8ng off my mortgage next September when my fixed rate ends. Have subscribed best of luck x
    £23356.04£44348.32/[COLOR="Red£1985.16[/COLOR]Mortgage neutral 03/19
    4.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, lovely, a new reader.

We have just (literally) got back from the hottest weekend's camping ever, hence the time lag in responding. After a quick check on the tomatoes in the greenhouse (droopy but recoverable) I thought a quick half hour on here would help before unpacking the car and sorting all the gear.

I will do a chick check and update a bit later...

4.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drat and double drat (Mutley muttering as wanders off). We went overdrawn in the running costs account before DH got paid. It is agreed so will not cost much but it does show my eye was off the ball.

We are off to an afternoon and evening wedding anniversary party until tomorrow so no full update here yet. Thank goodness it rained last night. Less than forecast and already warm today but the garden is visibly perkier!

4.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm! Quite a few of us go awfully quiet in the plodding slump phase of each month. I'm wondering if we could come up with a future modelling (not fashion, financial :rotfl: !) challenge?

The thing in my head is we all overpay our mortgages a bit, and pay off debt, and save - but I always feel slightly disappointed at the end of each month and I think I don't really understand the interest/growth on savings vs the real cost of debt (mortgage and any other interest-bearing debts). There are lots of us who shuffle money between accounts paying good interest payments 3-5% but is the total interest on those savings balancing against the much bigger actual interest we are paying on the bigger capital loans?

I sense a holiday project for me while we are away this month.