60 hours per week

Options
Bryando
Bryando Posts: 1,464 Forumite
edited 28 January 2017 at 12:47PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
72 hours that should be!

I applied for a job and turn out the hourly rate is not what they said. Just above NMW. 42-hour contract. Already looking for something and not even signed the contract yet! Learned being in work is better. Having been on the sick for 10 years.

For what I have planned and goals I would need to work around 62/63 hours a week. There is plenty of overtime as they are short staffed-probably because of the poor wage! They seem to always be looking for somebody every month.

The question is would work such hours be stupid? Most I have done in my life is 35. 12-hour shifts inc nights.

Comments

• Dakota_Deville
    Options
    IMO, for what it is worth, that is a lot of hours for anyone, let alone someone out of work on the sick. I do 60 hours pluc but I am self employed and I would not recommed it to anyone.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Are your health issues resolved?

Sixty hours would be excessive for the fittest of people.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    To me, that would depend on if it's real work, or in an office.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    I would not work 60 hours p/w unless I was working for myself and doing those hours to progress my business knowing that I'll be able to relax in a few years.

I wouldn't be working 60 hours for somebody else though. Fair play if you are able to do that. I think I did 48 hours once upon a time, 4 shifts of 6am - 6pm then 3 days off, even that was a lot, Im very happy with my good salary at 35 hours a week.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bryando wrote: »
    The question is would work such hours be stupid? Most I have done in my life is 35. 12-hour shifts inc nights.

Like most truck drivers in the UK I spent the last 20 years doing 55-60hrs average a week, sometimes as high as 80 when I've run max hours.

The Road Haulage Association did a study some years ago and found the average working week for truck drivers was 55hrs. There's several hundred thousand truck drivers.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    60 hours to me sounds like a poor work/life balance - nobody on their death bed ever said "i wish i had spent more hours per day at work"
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Like most truck drivers in the UK I spent the last 20 years doing 55-60hrs average a week, sometimes as high as 80 when I've run max hours.

The Road Haulage Association did a study some years ago and found the average working week for truck drivers was 55hrs. There's several hundred thousand truck drivers.

+1

I no longer drive, work in an office, pretty much 55 hours a week. Van driving regularly hit 100+ hours (honestly); 55 feels like part time.

Really it's up to how you feel it would be for you.
  • Alarae
    Alarae Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    At the moment I am averaging 60ish hours a week across three jobs. I've been doing it for the past three months and it isn't too bad.

My jobs aren't particularly strenuous though; I do 37.5 hours in an office (tax), 12 hours as an online Shopper and then between 10-15 hours at a cinema box office.

I have every Sunday off without fail and I still find time to go to the gym 2-3 times a week.

The first half of the week sucks as Monday and Wednesday I do 16ish hour days working, but I catch up on sleep in the latter half of the week so it balances. Kind of :o
  • societys_child
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    +1

I no longer drive, work in an office, pretty much 55 hours a week. Van driving regularly hit 100+ hours (honestly); 55 feels like part time.

Really it's up to how you feel it would be for you.
    I believe you! 100 was fairly normal, occasional 120.

Getting it serviced (and maybe a replacement tacho head fitted :whistle:)
    counted as a day off . . . don't remember many of them though.

Ahh, the good life :rotfl:
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'm not self employed but in my previous job I once did three weeks (11 hours a day) without a day off and even with sufficient (but not enough) sleep it was hard going some days.

Having said that I've opted out of the E.U. Working Time Directive and have been working a fair few night shifts in my current job; there's plenty of overtime going and it keeps my mind off certain things.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure