Job offer - not sure what to do!

Options
2»

Comments

• Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Contract came through the post and there is a show stopper!

Current pension 5% employee 10% employer.

New role 4‰ employee 3% employer 1% Gov tax relief.

So works out roughly at losing £52 per month or £630 per year employer contributions.

What is annoying is that the main offices are on a Zurich pension of 4% with 9‰ employer contribution, but some offices like OH is with people pensions.

Would people still go for the new role now?
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes - I'd still go for it. Having spent 10 years in retail I have never regretted leaving to do other things!

Who knows how long her pension will remain on the current terms even if she stays. Having seen so many people lose their pensions, gone are the days when I would put it high on the priority list.

As others have said, how much more valuable the time she will be able to spend with family, not having to work evenings and weekends?
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    In her shoes I'd still go for it. She will definitely get the benefit of more family time etc, whereas what will happen in later years is unknown.
  • Noctu
    Noctu Posts: 1,553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd still take it, those hours are unheard of in retail!
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,975 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Ivrytwr3 wrote: »
    What is annoying is that the main offices are on a Zurich pension of 4% with 9‰ employer contribution, but some offices like OH is with people pensions.

Can't see how it's annoying, it's a different job. I don't expect the same salary as my colleagues working in the London office. Employer contributions are not free from the employer's perspective; that 9% is coming out of their salary.

I agree with the previous posters. The new job sounds like a considerable improvement in work life balance for a relatively small cost.

Whether an 11 year old is sensible enough to be left at home alone is a red herring. The current employer could have asked her to work late in the evening years ago if that's what the job demands - or sacked her. It's not their problem that the other parent is away all week and can't arrange alternative childcare. I wouldn't want to leave an 11 year old alone that long either, and in your shoes I would be doing the same thing.

A minority of employers are using auto-enrolment as an excuse to cut their pension contributions to the minimum (which is the 4+3+1 she will be getting at the new job). As LittleMax says, you don't know if she stays that her pension will remain on the current terms indefinitely.
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all - she handed in her notice today.

Decision made!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport