Job offer - not sure what to do!

Options
Ivrytwr3
Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 28 January 2017 at 11:55AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Background:

OH has worked in the same retail job for 20 years. Knows her job, but has seen her position eroded and responsibilities taken away. Also due to cutbacks staff is at a minimum.

Also, early starts and one involves getting up at 4:30am :(

However, 20 years = a certain level of job security and she knows the job inside out.

In 20 years she has never been interested in other work, but is now going brain dead!

Question:

She has applied and been offered a position working for a charity as an assistant area manager.

As it's a charity pay is not great (slightly less than now, but less hours and more responsibility), she will also require to wear/buy her own clothes (uniform provided at previous job) she will have to travel between stores using own vehicle so business insurance required, but 40p per mile paid. But the main position is in the same town as previous role.

Both are part time with the offer been 3 days instead of 4 and 22hrs instead of 24, slight increase of 50p per hour wage. Holidays are same.

At this point i would have advised no. However, her previous role involves shifts and not knowing what hours are required one week to the next, where this is school hours, bank holidays off and a week at Xmas - something unheard of in retail! For the past 20 years she has had Xmas and Boxing Day off and then back in and always worked New Years Day. There is also now an added concern that our youngest is almost 11 and she has been warned that she will have start working late (10pm) as the children will be old enough to look after themselves. I work away Mon-Fri and i do not think an 11 year should be left at home alone until 10pm - but that's just an opinion.

She also thinks that it would be good to be putting something back into our local community and to be able to start using her brain again!

So, MSE - any advice on what to do?!

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    One thing springs to consider - does she know how the charity / position is funded?

Is it based on funding applications which have to be renewed?
  • Ivrytwr3
    Options
    Don't know, but it is a huge national / international charity.

Will check
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 January 2017 at 1:13PM
    Options
    Wearing own clothes isn't an issue - I get my work wear from the charity shop a lot of the time. And have created my own version of a uniform so I don't need to think what I'm going to wear each day.
    Business cover doesn't cost a lot more, and I find my mileage currently covers the extra wear and tear on the car.
    For me, moving from shifts to 9-5 was a mixed blessing but that's only because it's full time - a 3 day week plus guaranteed weekends and Christmas would be heaven.
    How does she feel about the extra responsibility (if there is any) and what about induction/training?
    Ref funding - it does depend on the situation so is worth asking about. My position is permanent although the organisation contract was for 2 years so when it goes up for tender I will be TUPEd over. This can change depending how far up the management ladder you are. The nationals tend to have better procedures in place than smaller charities in this respect.
    Having said all that, don't underestimate the power of a fresh start. I moved due to redundancy after 25 years, and it was the best thing that could have happened. I didn't realise how stale I'd become until change was forced on me.
    I actually don't understand why your initial response was a no. From my perspective unless job security is hugely important I'd seriously consider the move.

ETA - also check ref being on call on non-working days.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As soon as I got to the part of school hours that was it - take it.

School hours jobs are worth doing even if the pay is less as what you get in return (to be with your children) is worth more than money.

If the worst happens and it doesn't work out, she will find something else. (will you be able to manage on just your wages if she is out of work for a short period whilst looking).
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Longer term how sustainable is the shift work going to be?

Once I had checked the funding ( some charities teeter on a knife edge, never knowing if funding is secure)

I wouldn't hesitate unless she has reservations about achieving results such as fundraising targets, more volunteers etc, as you have no employment protection until two years have elapsed.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,326 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It sounds to me like she would be better off leaving her current job. The question is whether this current offer is the best she is likely to get in the near future - how long did it take her looking and applying to get it?

The decision needs to be hers, but I incline to thinking the best course would be to take it, and if it doesn't work out as well as she hopes then carry on hunting for something even better.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Ivrytwr3
    Options
    She hasn't been looking, but i do know she wasnt't really happy in her current job - a means to an end so to speak.

I spotted the advert, she really liked the sound of it, applied, got an interview a week later and a call that same evening offering her the position! So, yes, a pretty quick turnaround.

Yes, we could afford to live on my wage, but it would be just that, lots of luxuries would have to go if things did not work out.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming and i will let you know the outcome when she herself knows :)
  • Ivrytwr3
    Options
    Still no further forward this morning :(
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I would say yes go for it, but I also know after 20 years in one job the fear of the unknown can be quite inhibiting.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would also ask what she's got to lose? If she got this job so quickly she must have a lot going for her, so moving on if it's not right shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure