Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!

Options

Comments

• kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I've decided that I need to get much better at planning and budgeting, and stop thinking that the answer to everything is to throw money at it. I brought lunch and coffee with me today, the coffee was much much nicer than the one I usually get from Costa - why do I waste £2.40 on burnt tasting coffee when I can bring a lovely one with me to work?!

This is exactly it! We get caught up in things being a treat simply because they are being made by someone else. In reality, doing it yourself is cheaper, just as quick and often tastes better :)

Excellent news about student loan, that's a big chunk less than you were expecting :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    It is hard to try not to see a take away sandwich or coffee as a treat, but actually a complete waste of cash. Because the marketers want you to think that! That's why this site is great for meeting like minded people who are also trying to keep on the straight and narrow.

Great on the student loan.

Exactly! I was actually quite excited about putting my lunch together today because it felt like I could choose exactly what I wanted (instead of pretending that I was going to buy a healthy salad and then buying a Pret baguette "because I didn't have time"). Roll on 12.30, I'm hungry thinking about it!
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    kirtsypoos wrote: »
    This is exactly it! We get caught up in things being a treat simply because they are being made by someone else. In reality, doing it yourself is cheaper, just as quick and often tastes better :)

Excellent news about student loan, that's a big chunk less than you were expecting :)

I'm really happy about the Student Loan balance, that is a huge chunk less than I was expecting and I will be able to count another chunk gone once they have adjusted the balance after April 2017 (the man I spoke to at SLC said we could go through all my payslips and get an estimate on the phone, but to be honest I'd rather not do that because I will get carried away with thinking that I have paid off another chunk of debt so I should "treat myself" again).

I've decided re: coffee that I'm not going to say NEVER again, but that I'm going to budget £10 for a coffee date with a friend or my mum once a month. Not having take away coffees "just because" but making a plan to spend an hour or two with someone and having a genuine treat.
    But I won't do this until I've gone a few weeks without buying any takeaway coffees, so that it feels like a reward :)
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    That's the best way to think - spending time with loved ones is more than worth the cost of a coffee :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've decided re: coffee that I'm not going to say NEVER again, but that I'm going to budget £10 for a coffee date with a friend or my mum once a month. Not having take away coffees "just because" but making a plan to spend an hour or two with someone and having a genuine treat.
    But I won't do this until I've gone a few weeks without buying any takeaway coffees, so that it feels like a reward :)

Coffee has been a really big thing for me. I get off the train and am met by about 5 or 6 different shops selling coffee all in the station! I was buying coffee every day. So now I walk past fast with blinkers on and hurry in to work. I've also been bringing in my own lunches. today was a brie & cranberry pannini. Yum! :T

On your SOA, your travel costs.. is this a monthly travelcard? Does your work offer a 0% season ticket loan? If you buy a yearly travelcard the cost is certainly reduced and if your employers offer the loan you pay it off monthly so much cheaper still. Or have a look at commuterclub.

Also spotify.. knock the £5 on the head and put up with adverts! lol. I am an absolute advocate of podcasts. I listen to a fair range now, Frank Skinner, Jason Manford, Graham Norton, BBCR4 drama of the week, Homefront (A WW1 drama) & I even got into The Archers!

Also if you love reading, have you thought about blogging reviews? I do this and usually get some free pre-release books for an honest opinion. ~I also make full use of the kindle store freebies and follow authors on twitter so you know if and when they are offering free books or reduced prices.

When you put your mind to it, there's loads of small changes you probably wouldn't even notice :j

Naomi x
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    When did it happen, that we all started to accept that it's okay to spend £2.80 on a drink that isn't that great, just because someone else made it?
    OH and I take the dogs to the beach when the weather is good, sunny days in winter are our favourite, and stop for a hot chocolate. We used to pay £2.80 each for a cup of sweet, brown liquid bearing little resemblance to chocolate, before we realised that the stuff we make at home is much nicer, we have a flask so what are we thinking? I bought a small rucksack in the sales for £4.99 which is great for carrying our flask, water and bowl for the hounds and poo bags. So far this year we have been 3 times so we are in profit and have had a drink we really enjoy.
    We've been well and truly brainwashed haven't we?
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Naomim wrote: »
    Coffee has been a really big thing for me. I get off the train and am met by about 5 or 6 different shops selling coffee all in the station! I was buying coffee every day. So now I walk past fast with blinkers on and hurry in to work. I've also been bringing in my own lunches. today was a brie & cranberry pannini. Yum! :T

On your SOA, your travel costs.. is this a monthly travelcard? Does your work offer a 0% season ticket loan? If you buy a yearly travelcard the cost is certainly reduced and if your employers offer the loan you pay it off monthly so much cheaper still. Or have a look at commuterclub.

Also spotify.. knock the £5 on the head and put up with adverts! lol. I am an absolute advocate of podcasts. I listen to a fair range now, Frank Skinner, Jason Manford, Graham Norton, BBCR4 drama of the week, Homefront (A WW1 drama) & I even got into The Archers!

Also if you love reading, have you thought about blogging reviews? I do this and usually get some free pre-release books for an honest opinion. ~I also make full use of the kindle store freebies and follow authors on twitter so you know if and when they are offering free books or reduced prices.

When you put your mind to it, there's loads of small changes you probably wouldn't even notice :j

Naomi x

Hey Naomi,
    Thanks for the suggestions and podcast suggestions. You are right - I could live with Spotify adverts and if I'm listening to podcasts anyway I won't be listening to it as much anyway! Just goes to show how easy it is to think "its only a fiver a month" and pay it for no real reason.

My travel costs were for a monthly travel card. I have just emailed HR to check about a season ticket loan, fingers crossed! :)

I hadn't thought about blogging reviews but that sounds like a really good idea! How did you get into it? Is there a website I can sign up to or something?

I've just signed up to two Focus Group agencies that my cousin recommended, she said she does 2-3 a year and gets around £40 each time. They are https://www.focusgroup7.co.uk and https://www.redheadresearch.co.uk in case anyone else is interested!
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    When did it happen, that we all started to accept that it's okay to spend £2.80 on a drink that isn't that great, just because someone else made it?
    OH and I take the dogs to the beach when the weather is good, sunny days in winter are our favourite, and stop for a hot chocolate. We used to pay £2.80 each for a cup of sweet, brown liquid bearing little resemblance to chocolate, before we realised that the stuff we make at home is much nicer, we have a flask so what are we thinking? I bought a small rucksack in the sales for £4.99 which is great for carrying our flask, water and bowl for the hounds and poo bags. So far this year we have been 3 times so we are in profit and have had a drink we really enjoy.
    We've been well and truly brainwashed haven't we?

I totally agree - I feel quite angry at myself when I think about all the coffee I have bought just in the past month & how many times I've just handed over a few pounds without really thinking about it.
    The worst part is that my husband is a big coffee enthusiast so we always have really nice coffee at home. The one I had today was so much better than what I usually have!
    (I've even got an insulated coffee mug so I have no excuses)
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I blog through google using blogspot. Wordpress is good but I'm not sure if you have to pay. blogspot is free :)

I also do focus groups. I've done two this year and made £150 so far. I'm finishing a two-parter this week which was £100. They often have free drinks and sandwiches too :) Search on FB for focus groups and join loads of pages. The only problem is lots of them are midweek at 4pm or something stupid, but they are well worth doing.

Naomi x
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • 117pauline
    Options
    It sounds like you are really ready to make some changes.

You mention that you have been putting things on your credit card to keep up with others. Perhaps you could look at it that when you finish paying off your debt, then you will be able to!

I am a firm believer in writing down spends each day. As I have a chronic illness I record a lot of information and suddenly realised I always over spent when I met a particular friend. Also there were certain situations that involved money spent on "nothing at all".

How is your OH dealing with this situation? I hope he is supportive

Good luck for February. Get your budget ready and go for it!
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport