Worth getting second lot of loans?

Hi all,

I'm just finishing a PhD and I'm going to be starting a PGCE in September. I have Plan 1 loans from my first degree, but was wondering if it's worth taking out Plan 2 loans to cover the £9000 tuition and building up a larger debt portfolio?

Having read the various posts on this website it would suggest the short answer is "yes", I'm just worried about having the added debt on top of my current debt and what this means with the uncertainty over any potential future changes (given this government's willingness to retrospectively change the repayment rules).

Cheers,

Geoff

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    What are your other funding options?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • I have some savings and inheritance from a Grandparent's death which would pay the tuition and then through the support of my girlfriend plus part-time work I'd be able to afford to live. I'd rather put it into a Help to Buy/Lifetime ISA though to start saving towards getting my first house with my girlfriend.
  • I'd take the loans personally as you only pay back a % depending on your earnings. You could spend all your savings then change your mind, earn less than £21k and that money is gone.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Surely there are bursaries for teacher training?

Note that the PGCE is very demanding, so there is no possibility of working part-time during the training.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure