Sky Installation White/Black Cabling

Options
Hi There,

Am due to have Sky installed on Thursday and am just a bit worried about the colour of the cabling the engineer might turn up with as the cabling is going to have to run quite some distance through my new property which has recently been decorated in white.

At my last property the engineer used a black cable but it only had to run a few feet from the wall to the TV.

Is it likely the engineer will have white cabling when he runs it through my new property or should I buy something like THIS and ask if is possible to do the installation with the white cable?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just checked and ours is black.

I don't know if there is a colour option and wasn't given one for cabling or when sent a white router. I would have preferred a black one as white plastic yellows over time.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When our dish was installed the fitter gave us the option of white or black cable.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Options
    I also had a choice of white cabling
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn't get a choice, we got white. The installer also called a day earlier than he had said, while I was out, and bamboozled my wife into running the cable all around the walls and doors, instead of through the loft of our bungalow. In the course of that, he also ran it around the sides and front of a massive display cabinet.
    I had to remove all the items, empty the cabinet later and re-run the cable. Through the loft would have been so much easier and would have been able to drop through the wall, out through a spare TV outlet which was directly behind the Q-Box. It would have used so much less cable. There have been so many problems with my installation and service. It will take an extraordinary offer to get me to keep Sky when my contract is done. I just wonder where they find these installers.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't have a problem with my installation the installer who was a SKY employee not a sub contractor, put the dish and cable exactly where I asked with my choice of coloured cable, all he needed was a cup of tea and a biscuit.:)
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just say you want white cable, and if they don't have any tell them not to bother installing.

Sky want you as a customer so it will be sorted.
  • richdeniro
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    I didn't get a choice, we got white. The installer also called a day earlier than he had said, while I was out, and bamboozled my wife into running the cable all around the walls and doors, instead of through the loft of our bungalow. In the course of that, he also ran it around the sides and front of a massive display cabinet.
    I had to remove all the items, empty the cabinet later and re-run the cable. Through the loft would have been so much easier and would have been able to drop through the wall, out through a spare TV outlet which was directly behind the Q-Box. It would have used so much less cable. There have been so many problems with my installation and service. It will take an extraordinary offer to get me to keep Sky when my contract is done. I just wonder where they find these installers.

I would like the cabling to go through the loft too but have been reading a lot of forums whereby the engineer refuses to go into the loft. I'm happy to go up there and pull the cable through if he can do the drilling. What would be the chances of that do you think or might he try and throw the cable over the roof?
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends which is easiest and is going to cause them the least problem.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The man who did ours was very helpful.

There was an old dish on the wall and he said he could remove it but would have to fit the new one lower down, as the old fittings needed different tools. However, he persevered and was able put the new dish exactly where the old one was. He also brought the cable in through the old C&W box which was neater than the old Sky hole in the wall fitting.
  • richdeniro
    Options
    All went well, the guy was a Palace fan like myself and I was wearing a Palace jumper which he spotted immediately. At the end he said that's why I've done you a good job :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure