Ruby's Bought a House, Now I want to Own It!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
234 replies 11.6K views

Replies

• BravingSavingBravingSaving Forumite
    71 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    I hope you get your toilet sorted soon - I hate having to get stuff like that fixed especially when its so new!
    Even if you don't get to £250k by the end of the year you've made many steps forward with the OPs you've made and saved money in other pots all of which is worth celebrating! :) (I need to keep reminding myself we're now in the second half of the year and its not still just after April - lock down has meant I've lost all sense of time!)
    Mortgage Balance June 2020 £102,824.39 Now £90,500.00
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @BravingSaving Will be posting an update on the savings tomorrow once some things have cleared but I'm really chuffed with where we are at the moment.  Especially when I realise that all the savings and OP's are from my salary while DH has his own savings too.  I know what you mean about time, I keep thinking I've only been in my new job for like 3 months when really it's almost 6!
    Emergency Fund - £4695.03 / £5,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £3037.51
    LISA 2021 - £1221 :: NSD July - 3 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 39.2 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 545 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right, morning everyone.  Last working day of the week for me as I've realised the reason I probably can't focus too well on work at the moment is that I haven't had a break since Christmas.  Went straight from one crazy job into a new one, then only had 1 week of annual leave where I spent it finishing up my dissertation for my MSc so no wonder I'm feeling a little burnt out.  Having a long weekend this week and then next week I'm off Wednesday to Friday so that should sort me out a little.

I promised a savings update today now that things have cleared in various banks so here we go:

- House Pot: £1606.29 / £2000
    - Car Pot: £726.56 / £1000
    - Holiday Pot: £3316.30 / £5000
    - Christmas Pot: £220.06 / £375
    - Long Term Savings: £1248.55 / £2500
    - Emergency Fund: £1859.52 / £5069.76
    - LISA: £1046 / £4000

Totalling all that together, I'm 48% of the way there which isn't too shabby!  Just to clarify that the house pot is like our emergency fund for the house so anything that needs doing or any projects we plan gets saved here, the car pot covers my MOT, servicing, tax and insurance for the year, the holiday pot is to save for our big Disney trips we make and includes allocation for spending money too, Christmas pot is for presents and additional food that we won't cover through the weekly shop, long term savings are not for anything special but could be for when I need a new car (not for a while yet I hope!) or when we eventually move and the LISA is to top up the retirement contributions.

Phew, that was a lot to throw out into the world but I feel happy about being able to review it.  I also have a couple of Monzo pots that are covering saving for specific things like a new coffee machine and some new adjustable dumbbells (now that I actually like working out!) but there's no real rush and I'm making steady progress on those.
    LISA 2021 - £1221 :: NSD July - 3 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 39.2 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 545 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that was a bit of a strange weekend.  Spent my day off on Friday just reading and chilling out (much needed!).  We ended up going to the big swedish furniture shop on Friday evening as we've been talking about getting a new bookcase for a while and DH was motivated to just get it.  Trip went well, he was in and out in 15 minutes and we came home to a pizza he'd ordered on the trip back.  Spent Saturday sorting out the space for it and reorganising our shelves and things look a lot better in our spare room now.  Have a pile of books to get rid of that I'll give first refusal to my book club friends and then will pass on to the charity shops.  

Also had the windows and gutters cleaned on Friday for £75 that DH paid for himself (in addition to the book case) so no dipping into the savings pots yet.  It's made such a difference to the overall look and feel of the house, I'm actually starting to get a little house proud now.  Just need to sort out the stupid door canopy next so we don't look like the worst house on the close.  

Was supposed to have some friends over yesterday for a socially distanced catch up in the garden but they cancelled at the last minute so we invited another friend over and then DH ended up being on the phone with his family during the whole thing.  Still was nice to spend some time with our friend and he appreciated the invite.  
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all, last day of the working week for me before a much needed extended break.  Managed to cash out £21 from Prolific today so have added that to the emergency fund pot.  Hoping to make that up to the £2000 mark by the end of July but we shall see.  Also realised that I'd added an extra £1000 to my savings targets that didn't need to be there so now I'm actually 49% of the way towards my goals for the year which I just can't quite believe.  Coming from a place where I had a perpetual overdraft and a perpetual balance on my credit card to someone with savings and goals is just a complete turn around.  Even though I've been debt free (apart from the pesky student loan and the mortgage) for 6 years, I never really took the next step and focused on savings until this year.  It's like a light bulb has gone off again and I'm pleased.  Just wish the same would happen when it comes to my weight loss goals :lol:
  • South_coastSouth_coast Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, but weight loss is definitely MUCH harder!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're definitely right @South_coast !  Seem to be yo-yoing up and down at the moment because I just can't keep myself focused on much.  Trying to keep as active as I can and make sensible choices but the treats seem to keep piling in.  Oh well I can only do what I can do and I know I'll get there eventually.
  • BravingSavingBravingSaving Forumite
    71 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    I've downloaded my fitness pal (currently on week 2) and its helping this time. But I've tried it before and just stopped filling it in when I was eating too many treats! Hoping it sticks a bit better this time. I'm not sure if its harder to do everything at once savings/clearing debt or the mortgage/lose weight or not. Well done on adding to the EF you'll be the half way point before you know it :) 
    Mortgage Balance June 2020 £102,824.39 Now £90,500.00
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @BravingSaving I think it's a lot to do all at once but also by making little changes something should eventually stick!  I must admit, I've got a little routine down and I'm on week 10 of working out consistently so something must be working.  Best of luck with MFP, I found it really helped me a couple of years ago when I lost the most of my weight.

Had such a nice 3 days off last week that it was a struggle to get up for work this morning!  Managed to read a fair few books, chilled out a lot and didn't really spend any money which was a bonus!  Also finally managed to find a charity shop donation bin that was open and had space so got rid of the 4 bin bags that I've been driving around with for weeks.  Will probably have another pile of stuff to get rid of when we try to tackle the wardrobe in the spare room but that's probably something for the weekend.  

Toilet gate is still ongoing as Wickes can't get hold of the part needed.  To make matters even better, we had a revised water bill through and the DD has gone up by £10 a month.  That's not just because of the toilet issues but also because DH has been watering the hell out of the garden with all the new plants he bought.  Usage should decrease again over the latter half of the year as it rains more but not too worried at the moment; might have to enact a hosepipe ban at some point though.

3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just had a whole bunch of prolific surveys confirmed so transferred another £12 to the emergency fund. The £2k target is in sight!