Ruby's Bought a House, Now I want to Own It!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
242 replies 12K views

Replies

• ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I still have a leaking toilet...DH text the plumber but he hasn't got back to him.  Has left him a voicemail today and if he doesn't hear back by tomorrow then he's going to attempt to fix it himself...what could possibly go wrong!

Had a departmental meeting this afternoon with lots of debate around equipment provision for working from home and fears around the loss of our London weighting payments.  For those of you unfamiliar with LW, we get an additional payment on top of our base salary because we're based in inner London.  Essentially this covers additional cost of living if you live in London and the cost of commuting if you live outside of London.  Currently we're still getting our LW payments as Covid has forced us to work from home, but the existing policy states that you have to work in the office for more than 50% of the time in order to qualify for LW.  The issue is that when "normality" resumes, not all of us will be able to work in the office due to social distancing rules and secondly they might be tearing our building down anyway as part of a redevelopment plan that's been in the works for years.  One possible suggestion has been that we carry on getting our LW payments to cover the additional costs of office equipment for home which would be very nice of them.  Personally I hope we get to keep our LW payments because I took a cut in my base salary to work for this organisation but the LW payments make up for the shortfall.  We could manage on my basic pay but I begrudge leaving an established role to end up with less at the end of the month but we'll cross that bridge if and when it happens.

Had a notification from Moneybox that the interest on my LISA will be going down to 1% from July.  Not too worried about this as I'm more keen on maxing it out to get the government bonus each year for as long as I can.

Now I'm off to have a walk in the rain to clear my head - it's been a long day at work today.
    Emergency Fund - £5,000 / £5,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £3381.68
    LISA 2021 - £1221 :: NSD August - 1 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 39.8 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 567 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Ellie78Ellie78 Forumite
    190 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    We we had the same problem with our loo recently. It was a seal that had perished. Only took the plumber 5 mins to fix. I hope he gets back to you soon. Our water bill went up by £20 a month before we figured out the problem! 
    Mortgage - £24,700 remaining
    MFW2021 #8 - £1,599.08/£3,000
    Overpayments: 2020 - £4,722.83 / 2019 - £16,042.00
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope you get toilet sorted. LW sounds scary prospect if they remove... There are so many weird consequences to the current crisis. Hope you get some money towards furniture.
    During 2021: Target 1) Clear CC debt £15212 £[email protected] 0% Target 2) Lose weight 3) Write regularly 38113/70000 words Book 2 4) Promote book(s) 5) Develop passive income streams 6) Build 3-6 mths EF 7) Declutter
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We're on day 3 of toilet issues today.  Still no news back from the plumber so DH is going to try and open it up this evening and work out what is going on.  This can only end badly in my experience!

Had another 1:1 with my manager today; he was really complementary on a presentation I did to the department around my experience of redeployment during Covid which made me feel confident about my ability to deliver training remotely now.  Have a couple of things to get on with the rest of the week so definitely won't be bored!

Speaking of Covid, booked my antibody test in for tomorrow morning.  Kind of hoping it comes back positive because I'm 99% sure I had it in March but it's been so long that I probably won't have a strong response now.  

On the money front I've made another £10 on Prolific so cashed that out and added to the emergency fund.  Slowly but surely getting there with that.  Paid for my new office chair off the credit card so that's all sorted.  Came out of my monthly "misc expenses" aka fun money pot and I still have about £30 in there which I'll put in the coffee machine fund if I can get through the next week without using it.

Off for a little walk now, hoping to avoid the rain and people!
    LISA 2021 - £1221 :: NSD August - 1 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 39.8 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 567 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you got some positive feedback. It can really help. 
    During 2021: Target 1) Clear CC debt £15212 £[email protected] 0% Target 2) Lose weight 3) Write regularly 38113/70000 words Book 2 4) Promote book(s) 5) Develop passive income streams 6) Build 3-6 mths EF 7) Declutter
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So blood test went well today - pain free, really quick and lovely nurse carrying it out.  Makes a change from my local practice where I usually have to lie down because I pass out regularly but this was fine.  Took a note of her name and where she works so I can track her down the next time I need one!  Traffic into London was awful though and pretty much back to normal rush hour levels which was a little concerning.

Toilet gate is still ongoing - DH had a go at trying to fix it but no such luck.  On more positive news, the plumber will be coming back tomorrow to sort it out *fingers crossed*

Work sent an update that they aren't going to terminate London Weighting payments for the time being while people can't work in their offices.  Once our office is "Covid secure" and we can return, I'd need to be in the office for 3 days a week to make sure I was still eligible for the payments.  That's fine with me and they have no idea when that will be so one less thing to worry about at the moment.  
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all!  Had a relatively low key weekend (what other kind is there at the moment?!  

Got my blood test results back on Friday evening and I definitely had Covid antibodies so I'm glad I wasn't laid up in bed for 2 weeks with nothing.  Bit concerned that the husband didn't have any symptoms so either I was really good at isolation or he was just asymptomatic.  Either way, happy that we isolated for the full 2 weeks and hopefully didn't infect any others.

Plumber couldn't fix the toilet, it appears we might need an entire new cistern but since it was only fitted in March, it's definitely still covered by the 2 year warranty.  Should hear back from him today on the plan hopefully.

Did spend about £50 on books though from amazon.  I really love reading, and when commuting can easily get through 3 books a week.  I did have a massive pile of unread books prior to lock down and have managed to read 38 since the middle of March and probably still have another 30 or so to go but just couldn't resist when I got a notification that a few on my wish list had been reduced and then that led to me seeing some more were really cheap second hand and before I knew it I've got another 8 books heading my way  :D   Also ordered a couple more washable face masks as they aren't going away anytime soon (these ones are subtly Disney themed) to round out the weekend spending.  It's payday on Wednesday and I'm looking forward to seeing exactly how much I'm getting back from my season ticket refund.

3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So payday is here and wow, I wasn't expecting £1500 back from my season ticket!  Decided to be sensible and allocate it out straight away so made a £250 payment to the mortgage (including the £100 OP I usually make) and then £325 each to the House, Holiday, LISA and Long Term Savings pots.  Quite glad that payday was on a Wednesday as it means that the LISA funds will get collected today so I won't have to feel tempted by the additional money in my account. 

With my savings I like to set goals for the year and I'm currently about 41% of the way towards those which I'm quite happy with - not quite at the 50% mark but will hopefully get close to my targets if I keep having to work at home!  

Actually spent £200 yesterday getting some trees cut back.  There's council land behind us that has a lot of trees growing on it which overhang our garden.  Two of them had branches that were laying on our roof and we had spoke to the council but they said we could get them cut back ourselves.  My parent's neighbour is a tree surgeon and after showing him some pictures he said he would have charged more, even at mates rates, so was happy to go ahead.  Ended up having everything cut back that was overhanging the garden and the drive, plus an extra foot.  It might have taken 3 hours but there were some pretty hefty tree limbs being cut down.  The guys were lovely, very courteous to our neighbours (making sure they weren't blocking anyone in) and tidied up so well that they even took away a whole bunch of general tree debris that was in our garden and on the communal area near the garages.  Now I no longer live in fear that a tree is going to fall on my car and we have so much more sun in the garden but still have shade and privacy.

Next project we need to do is replace the canopy over the front door.  There is a covenant on the house that means we have to have a certain canopy over our door but the one we have is quite literally falling apart and rotting so we need to replace it with a fibreglass one that will last a bit longer.  Think we're looking at about £400 for one (it needs to be pretty big) so will get saving on that.  Oh the joys of home ownership!
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone.  Having a slow start to the week as I just can't seem to wake myself up.  Will be drowning myself in coffee soon if it doesn't improve.  Had a zero spend weekend apart from groceries yesterday so pleased with that.  Enjoyed a lovely afternoon hanging out with some friend's for a socially distanced catch up yesterday.  It was nice to see people face to face but also a little anxiety provoking.  We took the 2 meter rule to heart, so much so that the host mapped out the distance using garden canes.  Hopefully we'll be catching up with another couple this weekend if the weather holds off.  

Toilet is still broken.  Think the plumber was ghosting DH on Friday so I'm calling Wickes later on to see if they can help sort it.

Received an email from booking.com regarding a hotel we booked for our planned stay in Prague in December.  My heart sank because it seemed like they were cancelling but in fact its just that the hotel has changed it's name :D No idea why they've done that but hopefully we'll still be able to get there this year.  Haven't actually paid for the hotel as it's pay on arrival and you can cancel for free until the day before.  Really hoping we can get away this year but if not then it's not the end of the world.  The flights were ones we re-booked from another trip; we were planning on going to Edinburgh for the Fringe in August but when it was cancelled we didn't see the point in going.  At that point Easyjet were letting you re-book flights for free to we picked Prague again as it's our special place.  We also hadn't paid for the Edinburgh hotel at that point either so it was easy to cancel.

Right I think it's time for coffee.  Hope you all have a good day.
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's the first of the month so it's money shuffle day.  Realised that I haven't properly declared just how big our outstanding mortgage is so here it goes: £254,607.20.  I've already sent an extra £7.20 to round it off a little bit but it's still a ridiculously large number, hence trying to pay it off as early as possible.  I'd love to be under £250k by the end of the year but not sure we're quite going to make it with the interest rate we have going on and trying to maintain a reasonable savings level.  Will get there eventually though.

DH sent me £100 to contribute towards the house fund so that will pay for the window and gutter cleaning he's arranged this week.

Toilet gate is ongoing - got hold of the plumber and he's had issues getting hold of Wickes.  Spent 2.5 hours on hold with them and finally got a response that they'll call him and try and sort it out.  Fingers crossed we get a resolution by the end of next week!