Chile

Options

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    I booked direct with BA and for the first time ever opted for business. My friend did consider booking business too but he's yet to actually sort his flight out and the business flights have gone through the roof since I booked so (presuming that he does book eventually) we will be in different cabins. As things stand I paid less than double the current economy price (Avios got me £250 off) so on that basis it seems a bargain.
    Did you beat the £1,300 I got?
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did you beat the £1,300 I got?

I paid £1,850 but I'm happy to pay more and fly direct. I did consider flying via Europe but I'd have ended up with less time in Chile which would defeat the object somewhat. As it is I'm flying out of Heathrow at 10pm on a Friday and will get back on a Sunday lunchtime. It really couldn't work out any better in that respect.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    I paid £1,850 but I'm happy to pay more and fly direct. I did consider flying via Europe but I'd have ended up with less time in Chile which would defeat the object somewhat. As it is I'm flying out of Heathrow at 10pm on a Friday and will get back on a Sunday lunchtime. It really couldn't work out any better in that respect.
    I've got time on my hands so fair enough.

I'll also get my safety grief in Spanish and Italian!
  • Ballard
    Options
    I've got time on my hands so fair enough.

I'll also get my safety grief in Spanish and Italian!

The awkward thing for me is that I'm contracting currently so don't know whether I'll still be in the same position, unemployed or in permanent employment come November. I've booked three weeks as any longer than that could be awkward if I'm in a new job. If I'm still temping then three weeks without pay would be plenty. It was very tempting to book six weeks but I couldn't really justify it.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • Ballard
    Options
    I have had a brief look at my guidebook and concluded that it's a choice of going south to Patagonia or north towards the Atacama. I think that south looks slightly more interesting but my friend mentioned that it's on the chilly side (a high of around 12C) in the south and so I'm having a rethink.

I don't it too much if it's cold but my last holiday was in the foothills of the Himalayas so not exactly toasty and I'd quite like not to have to wear layers of clothes on this one.

My friend still hasn't booked his flight but he will at some point.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    I have had a brief look at my guidebook and concluded that it's a choice of going south to Patagonia or north towards the Atacama. I think that south looks slightly more interesting but my friend mentioned that it's on the chilly side (a high of around 12C) in the south and so I'm having a rethink.

I don't it too much if it's cold but my last holiday was in the foothills of the Himalayas so not exactly toasty and I'd quite like not to have to wear layers of clothes on this one.

My friend still hasn't booked his flight but he will at some point.
    Yes, we've got four internal flights booked and two more to add if the current plan happens. They do eat into a trip!
  • Ballard
    Options
    Yes, we've got four internal flights booked and two more to add if the current plan happens. They do eat into a trip!

I'm not averse to a flight or two but am wary of spreading myself too thinly. I'm only there for three weeks so my thinking is that a flight north (or possibly south) and buses back to the capital with some interesting stops along the way. Once my friend has his flight booked we will try to find some time to chat about it.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    I'm not averse to a flight or two but am wary of spreading myself too thinly. I'm only there for three weeks so my thinking is that a flight north (or possibly south) and buses back to the capital with some interesting stops along the way. Once my friend has his flight booked we will try to find some time to chat about it.

I did look into the overnight sleeper buses mentioned earlier in the thread and was quite impressed. They'll save a night in a hotel and cost about the same as the Sky Airline flights cost.

I've opted against it though. It would have preceded a driving segment so I want a better guarantee of sleep the night before.
  • Tater
    Tater Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have traveled all around South America on buses and would highly recommend it , seats fully or almost fully recline so you can actually sleep unlike on planes. You also get to see a huge amount out of the windows and SA has such stunning scenery it would be a same to fly over it and miss it!

Patagonia is beautiful. You must visit Perito Moreno glacier (over the border in Argentina but this isn't a problem) and hike in El Chaten. Star gazing in San Pedro de Atacama (with a crazy French astronomer!) was a highlight of a couple of trips to SA and if you can get slightly over in to Bolivia to the Salada Uyuni a two day 4x4 trip on the salt flats is like you're on another planet entirely.

If you fly home from Lima make sure you go via Nazca and take a flight over the Nazca lines, and Colca Canyon to see the condors.

If you can go for 6 weeks extend your trip - you won't be sorry!
  • Ballard
    Options
    Useful stuff, Tater. Thanks.
    I hate verisimilitude.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income