debt repayment and lender responsibilities

Options
2»

Comments

• dazzammm
    dazzammm Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for everyones comment - on balance its exactly what i thought.
    the written agreement hasnt been adhered to and it should have been but i didnt notice so it could be argued that i could afford to pay more. also, you dont want to poke the hornets nest and make them angry.
    but there is one element of this i havent mentioned that could be the clincher - my wife has told me to drop it. ;o)
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dazzammm wrote: »
    thanks for everyones comment - on balance its exactly what i thought.
    the written agreement hasnt been adhered to and it should have been but i didnt notice so it could be argued that i could afford to pay more. also, you dont want to poke the hornets nest and make them angry.
    but there is one element of this i havent mentioned that could be the clincher - my wife has told me to drop it. ;o)

In that case......no question.....drop it ;)

Wives are ALWAYS right :rotfl:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    In that case......no question.....drop it ;)

Wives are ALWAYS right :rotfl:

Yes, yes we are! (Or so I tell my husband! :rotfl:)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    There's a bigger aspect here that's not been mentioned I think - you're self-managing a DMP, yet you didn't notice for 18 months that a higher than expected payment was leaving your bank account each month? It would appear that you need to completely overhaul the way you're managing your finances - firstly getting in place a watertight budget making every penny of income work for you, and secondly making regular checks to ensure that things are staying on track. There must be substantially more slack on your budget than you've based your DMP proposal on - which is a good thing if you want to get the debts, cleared, no?

If I were you I would put together an SOA and use this as a kick up the proverbial to get your finances sorted properly. You'll find the SOA link in the "sticky" thread at the top of the board.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a bigger aspect here that's not been mentioned I think - you're self-managing a DMP, yet you didn't notice for 18 months that a higher than expected payment was leaving your bank account each month? It would appear that you need to completely overhaul the way you're managing your finances - firstly getting in place a watertight budget making every penny of income work for you, and secondly making regular checks to ensure that things are staying on track. There must be substantially more slack on your budget than you've based your DMP proposal on - which is a good thing if you want to get the debts, cleared, no?

If I were you I would put together an SOA and use this as a kick up the proverbial to get your finances sorted properly. You'll find the SOA link in the "sticky" thread at the top of the board.

I agree OP needs to revisit his budget and make it realistic but as to whether or not there was sufficient slack to cover the 18 months of overpayment on one particular debt is difficult for us to tell. As he said in an earlier post, his wife has been borrowing from family without telling him.
    dazzammm wrote: »
    ............................. my wife has been borrowing money from her mum which i didnt know so that money would have made a difference.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I agree OP needs to revisit his budget and make it realistic but as to whether or not there was sufficient slack to cover the 18 months of overpayment on one particular debt is difficult for us to tell. As he said in an earlier post, his wife has been borrowing from family without telling him.

Ahh yes missed that.

In which case - I'll add the comment that the OP and his wife need to work together on this - there can be no financial secrets when you're in a debt hole!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business