Does anyone else keep hedgehogs ?

Options
Just wondering if there is any good info sites or UK based forums (found a few US ones but none in UK so far)

TIA
One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
GC: £200
Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb

Comments

• Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you mean as a domestic pet?

Did you know a wild hedge hog will roam huge distances during the night - I don't think it's fair to keep them confined as pets :(
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Moominmamma
    Options
    Hi

The British Hedgehog Preservation Society has a good website with a lot of info. I would agree with pp though, while you can encourage hedgehogs into your garden, you can't really "keep" them.

hth

Moomin
  • alanalea
    alanalea Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have a hedgehog that has taken up residence in some old tubing in our garden- we found him when we went to clear up and I didn't have the hear to move the tube afterwords.

Apart from leaving out water for him in the hot weather and the odd bowl of porridge/weetabix with hot milk e don't do much. He is very tame though, as sits on our back door step looking for food.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."...Miss piggy
  • rjm2k1
    rjm2k1 Posts: 650 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IIRC you aren't supposed to give hedgehogs milk at all as they can't digest it properly. My folks used to look after a rescued 3 legged hedgehog and IIRC they fed it dog food and some kind of dried biscuits, I'm sure there must be plenty of websites giving advice.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry no he's a African Pygmy Hedgehog, legal to keep as pets where as wild ones are not, sorry for the confusion.

DSC00008.jpg
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Kelinik
    Kelinik Posts: 3,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh one of my members breeds them, she had a thread about them here with loads of piccies and vid for you to coo over! :D

http://www.allaboutmice.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1533&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
    :heart2: Mumma to DD 13yrs, DD 11yrs & DS 3 yrs. :heart2:
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl:
    Kelinik wrote: »
    Oh one of my members breeds them, she had a thread about them here with loads of piccies and vid for you to coo over! :D

http://www.allaboutmice.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1533&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

i just joined your forum purely so i could see the baby hodgehegs........... i want one!! :o
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • Kelinik
    Kelinik Posts: 3,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ooooh sorry, I forgot I'd made it members only for that section (it wasn't originally)! :o

Hope I don't get told off for promoting now! :o:o
    :heart2: Mumma to DD 13yrs, DD 11yrs & DS 3 yrs. :heart2:
  • Amberdarcy
    Options
    Our local vets (Stevenage) has an advert asking for secure gardens for rescued hedgehogs. Maybe you could give a hedgehog a new home. I'll check out the notice when we take the animals there in October.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure