PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I think to save being arrested a burka would be better :eek:

I've always wished women's regular/expected swimwear were shorts and a t shirt like blokes get away with.... so much pressure to squeeze into a suit, or bikini ... neither of which are flattering except if you're standing completely still and posing.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

After today, no more CFO in Plymouth, full English in the B & B, lunch out, dinner down the Barbican somewhere. No pasty or cream tea planned but who knows?

Sounds lovely. I think you need to have a pasty and most certainly a cream tea each day :) And of course your evening meal in a really nice restaurant, which it sounds like you have planned :). Surely it's compulsory when on holiday.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Farway - enjoy your holidays. I've only been to Plymouth once in the scorching first two weeks of July in 2006. We were staying at a wee place called Noss Mayo and were in Plymouth a fair bit. My boys fair loved the Lido:D

The sun is actually shining here today :D, I'd like to say I got lots of gardening done but I'd be fibbing:o. First cucumber has been scoffed (though I was good and gave my Dad a bit) in wrap with ham & rocket at lunch time. I bought the wraps last weekend when the boys were home and they didn't get used so I'll need to use them up as I don't find they freeze well. Dinner tonight is a pork chop with steamed veg and spuds:).
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2017 at 4:49PM
    Options
    I've always wished women's regular/expected swimwear were shorts and a t shirt like blokes get away with.... so much pressure to squeeze into a suit, or bikini ... neither of which are flattering except if you're standing completely still and posing.

Right - I'll challenge you then to do that:D.

See if you can find suitable shorts and t shirt for swimming purposes. Believe me - you'll be doing the rest of us a favour if it becomes "normal" for women to go swimming like that.

I know you're on the small side - but I'm reluctant to put myself into a bikini until I'm back to my normal size and just wish many people rather a lot bigger than myself were equally reluctant.......

Until then - I'll spare everyone seeing size 18 me - that buys clothes that have a size 14 vanity-sizing label on them in the 2010's.

Off to try on my size 14 jacket from decades ago to see how close I'm getting to being able to wear it again.....:cool:

I'm a great fan of rational dressing personally - so it is rather time for the shorts/teeshirt swimwear imo.

EDIT; Noss Mayo caron - is envious. Been there - like it.
  • caronc
    Options
    I've never been a bikini person even in my young and skinny days - I'm too top heavy to every felt secure in one:eek:Give me a well supported cossie any day ;). That said I hate swimming and sunbathing......

My summer wear consists of a "uniform" of cotton or linen trousers or cropped trousers with a top or t-shirt. Cardi added as required:). I never replaced my shorts when they wore out - so few days here when you can wear them!

Noss Mayo and Newton Ferris are just so beautiful would go back like a shot:D
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I've been painting the fence wood.... there's quite a lot of it and I've never done it before and I am deliberately going slow (for reasons I won't divulge).

So I was thinking I deserved a takeaway ... but I do not know of a good one round here. The one I had last time doesn't do good chow mein, nor good egg fried rice (I could equal their efforts myself using the nuker) ... and the first time I had their chicken balls they were magnificent, but the last time they were "only JUST cooked" so I felt the texture of the chicken was a little "undesirable". So I am loathe to go there again .... which is a !!!!!! as I had high hopes after I'd been the first time.

I have no knowledge of any others being any good - which leaves me all at sea and having to pick one at random that I haven't tried before, which means travelling further afield ...and I also don't know if I want indian or chinese ... or a kebab.

So, all in all, I bet I end up not having a takeaway through complete indecision.

So tough .... I've no food in the house I fancy at all.
    Options
    caronc wrote: »

My summer wear consists of a "uniform" of cotton or linen trousers or cropped trousers with a top or t-shirt. Cardi added as required:). I never replaced my shorts when they wore out - so few days here when you can wear them!

Envy again. Cropped trousers are "my style" - and I haven't got a single pair and never have had. Reason being I've not got nicely-coloured skin to be on show in between the footwear and the bottom of the trousers. I'm pretty pale-skinned - not "pale and pasty" as I was whilst being fed the food I had whilst growing up. Once I started feeding myself the "pale and pasty" went thankfully and I was able to discover what colour my skin is actually supposed to be. The answer was, unfortunately = "still pretty pale". There is only about 1 shade of pale that is paler than mine and I just have to count my blessings I've not got that colouring. But - I'm only the next shade up and that means = no bare legs on show:(. Hmmm...wonder if I could wear tights underneath them - to hide that paleness.....(popsocks don't do it for me).
  • caronc
    Options
    Oh I like fence painting find it quite relaxing and no need to be super tidy/careful. Hope you sorted out your dinner dilemma.
    Options
    Me I'm betting the doing fence painting slowly is something to do with neighbours........:cool:
  • PasturesNew
    edited 8 July 2017 at 8:56PM
    Options
    Right ... I went out for a random drive, perchance to randomly spot a random takeaway that happened to have a parking spot outside and didn't look grubby.... but I got 200 yards up the road and CBA.

Instead of spending £7-8 in a random takeaway I'd probably regret I went to 4ldi to spend the money on "stuff you've not tried before".

Tea tonight is: Basmati rice (from cupboard), 5 hot/spicy chicken strips in something (breadcrumbs I think, could be batter), and half a jar of sweet/sour sauce (with a spoon of added balsamic vinegar as it smelt too sickly sweet).

It'll be served up in about 4 minutes' time.

EDIT: Well, at a cost of £1.12, that was very edible ....if somewhat a large portion. I chose to do 5 chicken bits as there were 10 in the packet.... but 4 would've done. Rice I did by eye, so was generous. 1/2 a jar of s/s was a bit too much, 1/3rd would've done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure