PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's acceptable in coffee so I'd imagine it will be perfectly OK in say a curry

Evaporated milk might be a bit sweet for a savoury dish. I used to love that as a child over tinned fruit. My old nan used to make coffee with camp coffee and evaporated milk, OMG we loved it :). Guess that was a throw back from the war years and the rationing after. I keep getting tempted to buy a tin but I'm scared it won't taste as I remember and will kill lovely memories

The curry is a lightweight one, just a simple korma. I've actually got some jars to get through first though (gifted to me by a hoarder).

We had Camp coffee in the 70s when there was a coffee shortage, HATED it. We used to have the milk poured over tinned fruit. I've actually got two small tins in the cupboard as I intended to make some quiches with them. Needless to say, they're becoming cupboard clutter.... all good intentions, but toast is so much easier :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon all

Eating out, I rarely do these days unless out with grandchildren etc

I just ignore the "wait here to be seated" signs in near empty cafes, like Little Chefs or some pub chains and just go in & plonk myself at an empty table

Never been turned away either, but then I always assume I have every right to be there, in my chauvanistic male way ;). Not tried in Harrods or the Savoy of course, could come unstuck there

Nil breakfast, lunch was the last BLT sandwich, now just one rasher left, waht use is one rasher? Not enough for anything and not going to try & use it in something else or that is jsut making something to use something. Maybe a mini sarnie?

Lidl was megashop by this morning, got the baking spuds on offer, should see me for a few weeks there, and pushed the boat out on some rump steak, also on offer, great lump of cheese, eggs & batteries

The sun is out, so one of the baking spuds will be used in tonight's salad, maybe grate some cheese in the spud?, not sure on the filling yet
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Farway - I do wonder whether it's more of a "female" thing to expect to ask a waiter for a table (thereby giving them the chance to be awkward and refuse), whereas a man might be more inclined to just see a vacant table/take it.

Maybe that's why I personally just look for an empty table/take it - as it literally doesnt occur to me to act in a traditional "female" way. I just think "How does a person act?" and take no account of any sex differentiated ways of acting basically.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 May 2017 at 3:55PM
    Options
    [QUOTE=_I_keep_getting_tempted_to_buy_a_tin_but_I'm_scared_it_won't_taste_as_I_remember_and_will_kill_lovely_memories[/QUOTE]

You are best to keep it that way. Everything that I have bought again to see if it is still as good as it was when my mother/grandparents used to give to us has turned out to be a big disappointment.

The same with things that I used to buy a lot myself in my younger days when I first married in the late 70s. Nothing has so far lived up to my memories.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You are best to keep it that way. Everything that I have brought again to see if it is still as good as it was when my mother/grandparents used to give to us has turned out to be a big disappointment.

The same with things that I used to buy a lot myself in my younger days when I first married in the late 70s. Nothing has so far lived up to my memories.

Same here, but maybe the reason is so many things have now been "reformulated" they really are not the same as the earlier versions were?

One example talked about on here is the Fray Bentos pie, a travesty of what it once was, plus who remembers digging in the strawberry jam for the strawberries? Hard pushed to see a strawberry in jam these days, even the dear stuff
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

I am having a real munchie day today.

So far I have had porridge and yohgurt and berries for breakfast.
    Lunch A tuna and mayo sandwich and a rhubarb crumble and cream for a pudding.
    Dinner will be a chicken portion with salad and new potatoes and an apple and blackberry crumble and cream for pudding.
    The crumbles were in small ramekins in the freezer and as I was getting one out, I just thought 'oh well if I get two out and treat myself today that will clear a bit of room in there'.
    On top of that I have had three penguin bars and two slices of toast and butter. :eek:

I found a small lump of meat in the freezer, when I weighed it, it was 250g. For some reason I hadn't labelled it, so had no idea what it was :( I have defrosted it and I think it is the end of a large joint of beef that I cut up and froze but didn't quite manage to portion properly. Anyhow that is now in the slow cooker for the next two days either with veg or salad depending upon what I feel like on the day tomorrow.
    At least a few things have come out of the freezer, :) even if I feel really stuffed, and I have gained four pounds in one day in addition to the three pounds a week I'ms supposed to be gaining :D
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    The only time I have ever eaten out on my own has been when I was working and used to have to stay away from home every now and again. Then I always used to eat in the hotel restaurant as it was going on the bill so I never had a problem.

I have had a few bar meals on my own in the past, more to the point during the 1980s at a couple of pubs where my ex and I used to go a regular basis and I was well known by the landlord/ladies and all the regulars. In fact when he was away with work I would even go out for a drink on my own if I was bored, never felt uncomfortable and there was always someone in there who I knew and would end up talking to.

I wouldn't do it now though.
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Same here, but maybe the reason is so many things have now been "reformulated" they really are not the same as the earlier versions were?

One example talked about on here is the Fray Bentos pie, a travesty of what it once was, plus who remembers digging in the strawberry jam for the strawberries? Hard pushed to see a strawberry in jam these days, even the dear stuff

The Frey bentos pie :(

That was a huge favourite in our house, I loved them, even my dad loved them. We're such a treat to have shop bought pie and the pastry was mmmmmmmm

Then I got one a few years back, minging it was :(

They just refurbished my nearest B&M and there's much more food. I was stood there looking at the tinned steak and kidney puddings and the tinned hamburgers thinking will I or won't I as I have such fond memories of them, and walked away :(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am having a real munchie day today.

tell me about it. I had a currant bun, a slice of cake and some chocolate, all in between nice meals. I am better if I am busy, I don`t think about it
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

I have often wondered if it is because things has been reformulated. Sometimes they are considerably different. It be that they have kept a brand name because it is a well known and trusted product but changed it to something completely new.

I aree with you re the strawberry jam, there used to be loads in the jar.. In fact I can't remember when I last found any in there :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure